4 inch lift (add a leaf) options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Iooking to obtain 4 inches in the rear with no blocks. anyone using these on 60' inch spring? I have a 2500 Suburban (14 bolt FF) which is different length than the pickups.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why not shackle flip? Don’t need to change springs, retain current ride (in less want to change ride) and get 4” lift.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
If you shackle flip, you'll need wedges between the springs and axle to maintain reasonable driveshaft angles.

Or you could just keep adding until you get the height you want...
20210827_192200-jpg.295539

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I work at a suspension shop. It's nearly impossible to rearch your springs to get a 4" lift. You might get 2". The rest will need to be made up by adding leaves.

It's the main leaf that's the problem. Arching it that much brings the eyes too close together, not lining back up with the shackle. You'd need 2 new longer main leaves...

The rest of the pack can be built up though. Likely 3 more leaves would be needed, making the truck ride MUCH rougher. Dont forget to install extra long shocks too.

A 3 leaf buildup is a bit over $1000. Add in a $150 set of shocks.

I'd like to know why you're against lift blocks. I've got 4" tapered ones in my 2500 p/u. They were $80 with u-bolts, plus the shocks and the ride is factory smooth.

92Raiderburban

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I work at a suspension shop. It's nearly impossible to rearch your springs to get a 4" lift. You might get 2". The rest will need to be made up by adding leaves.

It's the main leaf that's the problem. Arching it that much brings the eyes too close together, not lining back up with the shackle. You'd need 2 new longer main leaves...

The rest of the pack can be built up though. Likely 3 more leaves would be needed, making the truck ride MUCH rougher. Dont forget to install extra long shocks too.

A 3 leaf buildup is a bit over $1000. Add in a $150 set of shocks.

I'd like to know why you're against lift blocks. I've got 4" tapered ones in my 2500 p/u. They were $80 with u-bolts, plus the shocks and the ride is factory smooth.
Nearly impossible? Ok, if u could care to explain how the Squarebody crowd does it, that's how I originally got the idea. I've seen multiple pickups and Suburbans lately with 6 inch lifts, all suspension. I have nuthin against blocks but Im more for experimenting with an all suspension lift. Plus I plan on swapping a very torquey engine later. Just to be on the safe side with the rear.

If you shackle flip, you'll need wedges between the springs and axle to maintain reasonable driveshaft angles.

Or you could just keep adding until you get the height you want...
20210827_192200-jpg.295539

How many have u added successfully? And what height did you get with x amount added on each side? If u have a tutorial by all means I'm interested.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nearly impossible? Ok, if u could care to explain how the Squarebody crowd does it, that's how I originally got the idea.

Sure. The lift kits for leaf spring kits use longer leaves. If the OE main measure 52", the 6" lift main leaves are between 58" & 60"
That way the main leaf eye lines up with the shackle, roughly at a vertical.

Think about a (bow & arrow) long bow. The ends of the bow would be your leaf spring eye. When you pull the string arching the bow, its like adding arch to leaf springs, the ends get closer together, and won't line up with the frame mounts. The main needs to be longer. Therefore there is only so much arch that can be had until the shackle reverses and collapses.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Re-arching springs can work on NEW springs, that haven't been broken in yet. But I wouldn't worry about a block, mainly Ford and Dodge, they have been using blocks for years. Torqued down, they ain't going anywhere. ORD sells front and rear hangers for burbs only, can't remember how much lift, but thought it was 4".

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Nearly impossible? Ok, if u could care to explain how the Squarebody crowd does it, that's how I originally got the idea. I've seen multiple pickups and Suburbans lately with 6 inch lifts, all suspension. I have nuthin against blocks but Im more for experimenting with an all suspension lift. Plus I plan on swapping a very torquey engine later. Just to be on the safe side with the rear.

How many have u added successfully? And what height did you get with x amount added on each side? If u have a tutorial by all means I'm interested.
I'm pretty sure the square lovers play with different lengths to customize the flex they want to have and to move the axle forward.
Years back I had Deaver make the custom 3" spring packs for my K5. IIRC they had 8 front and 10 rear leaves, of course, the leaves were thinner. They were set up for the weight I was dealing with. She road like a 'Caddy'(when loaded down), flexed very well, and also towed great, for a Blazer.

Here: