37s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With 37's and an automatic you might want to think about a little steeper gears then 4.88's might be "OK" with a stick but an auto?? It's alot heavier tire and rim combo compared to stock (think rotational mass) to get going. Going to a 5.13 might feel a bit closer to stock gearing with running the 37's...

sent from what use to be a great nation...

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I dont think that the weight differance would be enough to matter. 37" tires on 20" wheels weigh 180ish pounds, my 265's weigh like 80 pounds each. Thats a huge difference in rotational force.

Basically if you're going to run a tire that big you have to either be prepared to do lots of front end work or a solid axle conversion.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
With 37's and an automatic you might want to think about a little steeper gears then 4.88's might be "OK" with a stick but an auto?? It's alot heavier tire and rim combo compared to stock (think rotational mass) to get going. Going to a 5.13 might feel a bit closer to stock gearing with running the 37's...

37s with 4.88s comes to around the same overall ratio as stocks with 4.10s. Should be plenty of gear for the extra weight of the larger wheel/tire combo. For something that sees more pavement than dirt/mud I wouldn't want to go much deeper if any for 37s. If it were a dedicated toy it'd be a different story though.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've already replaced ball joints and pitman/idler arm. As long as I'm not changing ball joints more than twice a year I'll be ok, because those moog ball joints are hard as hell to get in compared to the account Delco that were on.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm going by my many years wheeling chevys and jeeps and with others who have done the same that also had to daily drive thier rigs... but for me if 4.88's are as low as you wanna go I would stick with the 35's.... not going to call anyone web wheelers here as we all know our abilities but I've made the same suggestions to other people I've known for a while wanting to do the same thing and did the 37's and 4.88's and an automatic anyway and they wished they went with steeper gears as I have suggested...

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
37x13.50, and because I personally like the look of 14 wides, and I'm sure I'm probably going to hated for that, but it's just what I like. I was looking at the mickey thompson 36x15.50r20. They are 80 lbs a tire so I tbink 180 lbs for a 20 and 37x13.50 is a bit of an overstatement. The 20x14 are only 45 lbs so that makes 135 lbs.

GMC Burbalade

Busy slacking
Reaction score
Like I said it depends on what you use it for. For a dedicated toy, highway rpm is of no concern. But for a vehicle where off road usage is the minority, it's much more of a concern. 3.73 with 31s vs 5.13s with 37s brings rpm from the 1980 range to the 2280 range at 70. Obviously the deeper gears are going to put more power to the ground because of the mechanical advantage which will make it a bit more fun to drive but that comes at the cost of fuel economy. 4.88 would put the rpms around 2170. Should be more than enough to deal with the extra weight of the wheels and tires.

Obviously a different vehicle is going to be an entirely different story as well. Swap 1 tons and steel beadlocks under Jeep and you're going to have a much larger weight difference than just larger alloy or aluminum wheels.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will never notice the 100 ish rpm differance.. but hey that's just me wheeling when I could and having to daily drive my rigs all the time...

And yes a differant vehicle like jeeps I mentioned will be differant but I have also done chevy's, ford's, toyota's.... not all mine but vehicles I've helped to build and driven alot. Some more then thier owners have...lol... I'm just talking from experience.. take my opinion with a grain of salt and do what "YOU" feel is best for you.. I will never tell anyone I told you so when it comes to thier own taste. What I feel works best to me in my rigs and my input into friends rigs may not work for you or anyone else..

And with that I say.... when you do get her done let us know how she turns out.. we are after all a group of individuals that love our trucks or we wouldn't be here...