3500 or 4500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks again for the help. And thanks smdk for the link. Also, tonight after work while heading home, I had to merge onto the loop in front of a semi. I dropped a gear punched it and was very satisfied how she pulled. Been a long time since she’s seen 80 mph.

geeeee89

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The 4500 is an awesome trans. My 3500 **** the bed and I replaced it with a 4500. If they can survive behind a Cummins with the only real issue being the 5th gear nut backing off and nothing actually breaking, then it will last forever behind a 350.

I’m sure that’s the one you have but to be certain, get under there and look. If it’s a huge chunk of cast iron with a rectangular 6-bolt PTO cover on the side and a removable bellhousing you have the 4500. Won’t hurt to change the fluid, just go to the dealership and give em your VIN and they’ll give you this stuff.

You must be registered for see images attach

scottywiley

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 4500 is an awesome trans. My 3500 **** the bed and I replaced it with a 4500. If they can survive behind a Cummins with the only real issue being the 5th gear nut backing off and nothing actually breaking, then it will last forever behind a 350.

I’m sure that’s the one you have but to be certain, get under there and look. If it’s a huge chunk of cast iron with a rectangular 6-bolt PTO cover on the side and a removable bellhousing you have the 4500. Won’t hurt to change the fluid, just go to the dealership and give em your VIN and they’ll give you this stuff.

You must be registered for see images attach
Will do. Thanks

bamabound

Reaction score
You can also check the RPO list in the bottom of the glove box. Should have code MT8 or MW3 for the nv4500. I'm pretty confident that is what you have although I have seen one nv3500 in a 'light duty' 2500. It had the 6 lug 14 bolt. Going the other way, I owned one and have seen quite a few 1/2 tons with the nv4500. Beautiful truck by the way.