350 TBI vortec head swap and smog questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, their 18lbs spring covers most builds. I spent a lot of time over the years going through tbichips.coms website. Most of his info is spot on.

As for TPI, I believe it breathes better than than a TBI system, therefore giving it an advantage throughout the RPM range. Not only that but it allows you to run the 0411 ECM which is way superior.

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
you dont need a spring just take a stainless washer under the spring or a quarter, 411 pcm is superior but tpi swapped form tbi is still worthless, ive done it twice really wasnt all that worth it, the worst parts of tbi can be fixed way easier, quicker and effectively than tpi is swapped.

tbichips has some good info but not all his stuff is the greatest, his tunes have drastically gone down hill, many complaints about his stuff and so forth. tpi breathes better because it has better heads mostly, it still runs out of room at 5k where as tbi runs out a 4500. not much of a gain, to build tpi at the least your looking at larger tubes or siamesed, bigger throttle body and a bunch of other much more costly upgrades, not quite worth it if you take the time and effort into researching tbi.

Mdauch

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great day of shopping, love buying stuff off of people who have no idea what they have.

Just picked up two sets of vortec heads, a set of headers and a vortec stock cam all for$75! If anyone knows any roller conversion Kits/stuff that would be great help. Also picked up a truck without a vortec engine that has : an inline aftermarket fuel adjuster, 14 bolt 10.5" rear end with unknown gears and 6 LUG! Also has a almost brand new 4l60e with a good transfer case and he threw in another transfer case all for 400!

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
10.5 was never ever 6 lug unfortunately, either way sounds like good prices for stuff as for roller your block should be equipped for it just find stock vortec stuff otherwise the retrofit or aftermarket stuff is rather pricey. but summit or jegs has it all.

Mdauch

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah my buddy has a donor engine it's a 305, would that matter? And I didn't believe it was 6 lug either til I seen it in person 6 lug 14 bolt 10.5"

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
take a picture not saying it cant be done but im doubtful truthfully, someone put some money into it to make it 6 lug if its truly a 10.5

if the 305 has roller lifters and the spider try then yea itll work just ispect them before hand.

Mdauch

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
14 bolts and 6 lugs
You must be registered for see images attach

Mdauch

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
14 bolts and 6 lugs