350 TBI vortec head swap and smog questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
honestly you could start with the vortec block if its any good, the rotatig assembly is slightly stronger, the roller cam debate is your choice, you have more cheaper flat tappet cams available but a good selection of roller cams as well.

free vortecs id say send me a pair, have them magnafluxd at the least to check for cracks, as stated no the intake will not work youll need a carb to vortec manifold, jegs has one for 127 bucks or something around there, i would recommend that. its your cheapest unit and with a bit of polishing or even iwhtout it stands up neck to neck if not surpassing the edelbrock manifold that youll pay wuite a bit more for. your bore size just affects your overall cubic inches in a stock application theres no real differemce except that of caution, your a machinist so youll know to check your bores for out of round and so on, i personally dont like going over 40 over in any 350 block. if it were me and needs a rebore id look at one of the junkyard blocks. i bumped my compression to 9.7 when i redid my motor(a few times) i wouldnt say to have your man goal to bump your compression, but make sure everything you do fits together nicely, such as having a bigger cam, retain proper valve train geometry, make sure your intake and exhast can flow enough, make sure your fueling is proper that your trans can hold up to the mods youve done. i always say planning is more than key and take your time. start with a block that isnt the one in your truck if its still driveable and if you need to drive it. that way you have time to research, do it right and save some money in the process.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wouldnt shave the heads unless they need it to be straight. And I would only take off enough to get them that way. They already have 64cc chambers. Over bore wont hurt you.

Mdauch

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks guys I really appreciate it! You were talking about cams, I was either thinking a LT1/LT4 or a Thumpr Series cam by Comp cams because of the old school feel and sound and my father always liked them. Opinions/ideas?

SlowZ71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As far as tuning goes, look into EBL flash, doober on fullsizechevy runs that and it's done wonders for him. It's a bit pricy but it's the best thing as far as tuning available for the tbi trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdauch

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How important is a tune after vortec heads, is it a thing i can wait to get or is it needed as soon as i throw them on?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
are you just doing heads or are you doing a cam and stuff too? jdyates never tuned his i dont beleive and it runs but it runs rougher than mine does from what ive concluded, if you can live with that then go for it im one for finishing a project ocmpletely so it utilizes full potential though.

whyteboy97

Reaction score
is it worth swapping to a carb with heads. i was told to run a tpi camaro fuel pump if i keep the tbi. i feel like tuning the computer is going to be the hardest part. i have a well known tuner next to my job ill have to talk to him about it.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, you loose all the advantages of swapping to the Vortec heads in the first place...