350 tbi to 6.5 detroit swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
just bouncing around ideas, but considering swapping a 6.5 to replace my tired old 350, i know most people would say stick with the 350, ive done alot of research and wouldn't mind a 6.5, i actually really like there simplicity and mpg. (not looking for a 400hp diesel). i would like to swap in the 6.5 and convert it to mechanical injection with a db2 4911 pump. and pair it up with my nv4500 5 speed with a new clutch. would it matter what year of donor truck i get, 90-93 or 94-00?? i know i would have to change the lines out for the 94-00 truck since they were electronic injection with a pmd. and used a 16mm line rather then the 14mm line the mech. injection 6.5 used, my main question is How would i get all my 1995 gauges to work and my hvac to work, becasue i will be removing the ecm and a large amount of the 95 wiring, since i would be going mechanical injection. i have an opportunity to buy a 94 6.5 donor truck with 140k for $2000 OBO. like i said i mainly need help with the wiring aspect to the swap. was thinking about running the glow plugs to a manual switch in the cab.

thank you for any replys. any help is appreciated

KrpticKyler

Reaction score
I know it's not the best diese at all. But parts and labor have been proven to be cheap. I was also considering doing a 4bt Cummins swap but the 6.5 swap seemed s million times easier. I like the way my truck is set up and don't really want to sell it since it's paid off. And I tow quite frequently, not enough to justify a new truck payment or a big block swap, but when I do tow my tired old 350 had a hard time getting over the hill. And it's my daily driver so the Eco of the 6.5 or a 4bt would be a major plus. I didn't come here to argue the reliability of a motor.. I came for answer for something I may or may not do in the future

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have no answer for your questions so apologies in advance for jumping on the 6.5 hate wagon...

You're talking about spending over $2K here. You could take that money and beef up/refresh your 350. Way more reliable in the long run, and way easier. You'd make more power than a stock 6.5, and I'm willing to bet the torque figures would be similar. Cheaper to work on as well, parts are cheap as dirt and just as plentiful. Just my two cents.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
No need to get salty...when someone proposes an idea that is a little kooky, it's going to draw some questions and legitimate criticism.

Why not use the engine harness for the mechanical engine, instead of hacking up your original harness?

I'll disagree with you on the cost of parts; those pumps are expensive. Starters are expensive. Then we could go down the "reliability" path with heads and blocks but that's the argument side I guess. ;)

Richard

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You know, if this was my project, I'd be inclined to build my own cluster, with a set of quality mechanical gauges. I do not know enough about the speed sensor to figure out how to get a speedo to work, but I bet someone's done this and the answer is out there somewhere.

Sounds like you are aware of the pros and cons of the swap, and that its just something you want to do, so go for it. I have a hunch that the 6.5, if treated right, is an ok engine, and you will get better fuel mileage if you set it up properly.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
I'll play the voice of (albeit moderate) reason here (or devils advocate, you pick)

Actually this wouldn't be that difficult of a swap really, and if you grab a mechanical turbo 6.5 out of a '93 and don't modify it you could make a fairly reliable engine

Grab the cluster our of that truck, the trans (you'll need the lower stall converter) and computer as well

Everything bolts right in, most of your cluster uses the same sensors in the engine.

While the motor is out, swap out some new injectors, rebuild the injection pump and replace the harmonic balancer

Pull the pump off your fuel sending unit and throw a hose and sock on it, or put a diesel sending unit in, a Facet duralift pump on the frame (marketed as carrier in the states) and drive it.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
If your 350 is tired, you can replace it with a new crate motor along with exhaust for the 2k the diesel would cost you.

A good running 350 should tow just fine,as long as you don't expect to maintain 85 mph up Hill.