350 tbi rebuild, help please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C1500stepside

Reaction score
Hey everyone this is my first post and im fairly new to the truck scene but I decided it's time to do my first rebuild project. I have a 97 sierra sidestep that I fell in love with. It has 4.3 vortec currently in it. Ill post some pictures later.
Anyway I came a across a great deal on a complete 95 350 tbi with 4l60e, computer and wire harness. I've heard this is a good engine to start with from many people. My plan is to not build it up to have a thousand horse power but to have some kick as it is going to be my daily driver. I am in no rush to build it because I have a running motor and trans in place so I wanna do it right and have fun doing it at the same time.
Also budget wise I don't wanna break the bank but I also don't wanna be cheap and suffer the consequences down the line.so far what I got planned to do is put it in a new crank port and polish replace internals, vortec heads, headers, exhaust intake and maybe some pistons to increase compression but I dont know yet since im a newb. But ive also heard that any mods to this motor means that alot of tuning had to be done. Is that true? And also will I have to get a new ecm and write harness or could I use the ecm and harness from the 95 motor? I have plenty of questions so Any thoughts opinions and advice and suggestions from all those with experience on this would be greatly appreciated! Im all ears. Thanks!

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
That my favorite place to read and plan my next steps too LoL! I will be getting that flowmaster "y" pipe soon. Then I will move to on to some of the other mods too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

C1500stepside

Reaction score
Yeah I cant wait to start! Have you guys heard that 95 4l60e trans arent interchangeable with any other year except 95? I came across that but I am not sure if that's true.

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
95 was an oddball year, they had completely different wiring harnesses than any other year so like the hvac controls engine harness and Trans wiring were all specific to that year

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
I would think so as long as you have the wiring harness for it but I'm sure someone else could tell you better

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Cadon69

GMT400 "Like a Rock"
Reaction score
I know someone who bought a 95 sub just to take the motor and trans and put it into a 92 rcsb. It seemed to work just fine. So I would say yes, in your situation by the sound of it.

I bought the bench front seat from the sun from him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro