350 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You may be able to pick up a few tricks from this guy.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You may be able to pick up a few tricks from this guy.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Its funny but I saw that earlier today myself. One thing he did not mention though. If you go this way the PCM will be in fail safe without the MAF and default to basically maximum line pressure. Also without a coolant temp sensor the torque converter will never lockup.

I have run a carb on a Vortec 350 for almost a year. I kept the stock distributor, the MAF and the MAP sensors. I used a carb bonnet and the OEM air cleaner assembly. It was a science experiment to see if an 0411 could be used for ignition control and trans control on a carbureted LS engine. Have to say it absolutely can be. Ran really strong with a holley q-jet replacement spreadbore double pumper on it. Good fuel mileage too.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think I saw something some time back about hooking up the gauges to work with a carb swapped 5.7 Vortec. From what I remember, its just rehooking up the grounds. As for the limp mode, would it really matter for trans control? I could see pulling the dash CEL light bulb so its not on all the time.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oh my bad, for line pressure, ok.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You have any pics of the carb set up. You should do a write up on the swap.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think I saw something some time back about hooking up the gauges to work with a carb swapped 5.7 Vortec. From what I remember, its just rehooking up the grounds. As for the limp mode, would it really matter for trans control? I could see pulling the dash CEL light bulb so its not on all the time.

If you want to experience the limp mode I am talking about unplug your maf and start the engine. Shut it off and start it again. The check engine light will come on. Drive the truck. It will really bang the gears when you do. The first time I went to tune the MAP speed density tables in a black box and disabled the MAF I thought something was wrong with the trans.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lol, no thanks, Ill pass. I believe you.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So the only brackets I can find that seem like they will work are these:
https://www.jegs.com/i/OER/691/332648/10002/-1#reviewTab

and these motor mounts:
https://www.autozone.com/external-e...er-or-passenger-motor-mount-2621/4840_0_12553

Are these compatible with each other? the brackets all say that they're for camaros and firebirds, but it seems like having the 350 in common will make it work on my truck? Lemme know if I'm wrong on this.

I've already ordered the rubber mounts (hope they work, if not...oh well) but I want to be sure on the bracket part. I just CANNOT find any clear info on the way these v8s mount up.

Brandon97

Reaction score
Everyone I have ever talked to about a card swap, says you need the trans controller box. But I know that the ECM can be tuned to what ever you want if someone knows what they are doing. So IDK why things could not just be tuned out that is no longer needed. People do it all of the time to remove things like rear 02 sensors, EGR valves ECT. Why not do away with all the other stuff that runs everything except what is needed for the trans. Now price of that tune may be the issue, IDK.
You do not need a stand alone im living proof! Lol did this swap last month all the 4l60e needs is a rpm signal to work and i figured it out works like it did with fi