350 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rich-stepside

Reaction score
Where did you acquire such a signal pray tell?

The signal is easy to get , switching to a older style HEI distributor
You take the original 4 wire plug that went to the factory distributor
Find the purple/white wire , cut it and add a female spade connector
Then just plug that single wire into the "tach" port on the HEI distributor
The computer will now receive an RPM signal

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Did you hook up all the grounds that were removed when deleting the CPI? Does you gauges work? How about the cruise, does it work too? Once my trans dies, I will do a perfomance reman so I would kind of like to keep the 4L60E. Oh and what about you CEL. Did you just pull the bulb????

Rich-stepside

Reaction score
Did you hook up all the grounds that were removed when deleting the CPI? Does you gauges work? How about the cruise, does it work too? Once my trans dies, I will do a perfomance reman so I would kind of like to keep the 4L60E. Oh and what about you CEL. Did you just pull the bulb????

Well my truck is a 94 so it may be different then yours. The only wiring that was changed
Was the purple/white wire for tach signal the heavy pink wire that went to the original coil was cut and used for power to HEI distributor and an aftermarket tps added to the carburetor.
All factory grounds are still in place. All gauges work normal and yes I just pulled the bulb on the check engine light oh and the previous owner cut the cruise wiring off at the stalk on the column so idk if it would work or not

Brandon97

Reaction score
My setup is using the 600 Holley carb with the tps kit you have to have it. I wired the white wire off coil pack to the HEI rpm side of dizzy an the power wire off the coil pack to the power side of dizzy that gives u ignition and your stock tach will work. You have to make sure all your grounds on the harness are still hooked up this will allow everything inside to work and if any dash lights bother you pull em out. Now the rpm signal which allows the trans to work is in the crankshaft sensor! Has 3 wires power ground and rpm. Only wire you need is the rpm wire take a wire from the rpm side of dizzy an splice it in to the rpm wire on the harness plug thats it! Just drive an adust your TPS sensor for the shift you like by loosening the tps an turning it to adjust.

Brandon97

Reaction score
Well my truck is a 94 so it may be different then yours. The only wiring that was changed
Was the purple/white wire for tach signal the heavy pink wire that went to the original coil was cut and used for power to HEI distributor and an aftermarket tps added to the carburetor.
All factory grounds are still in place. All gauges work normal and yes I just pulled the bulb on the check engine light oh and the previous owner cut the cruise wiring off at the stalk on the column so idk if it would work or not
The setup i explained is for the 96 an up trucks

Brandon97

Reaction score
Its funny but I saw that earlier today myself. One thing he did not mention though. If you go this way the PCM will be in fail safe without the MAF and default to basically maximum line pressure. Also without a coolant temp sensor the torque converter will never lockup.

I have run a carb on a Vortec 350 for almost a year. I kept the stock distributor, the MAF and the MAP sensors. I used a carb bonnet and the OEM air cleaner assembly. It was a science experiment to see if an 0411 could be used for ignition control and trans control on a carbureted LS engine. Have to say it absolutely can be. Ran really strong with a holley q-jet replacement spreadbore double pumper on it. Good fuel mileage too.
I've been running this setup for over a month tc locks up like normal an everything works great! Read the comments in that vid lol others are fine I've talked with them guys and the owner of the truck...running strong for 3 years!

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My four wire plug has both a purple and white wire. I splice them together into the tach port? I just use one or the other? And then all I'll need is the tps kit and this baby should shift, right?

Rich-stepside

Reaction score
My four wire plug has both a purple and white wire. I splice them together into the tach port? I just use one or the other? And then all I'll need is the tps kit and this baby should shift, right?

No just use one wire, the purple one has a white stripe on it making it "purple\white".
Just connect the purple wire to the tach port on the distributor. Use the heavy pink wire that went to the coil originally, connect that to the batt port on the distributor. Then the tps kit and it should run and shift fine