350 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another plus of the electric pump is far less cranking when the fuel bowls are empty before the engine starts. Think HOT restart in 105°F weather that boils the carb bowls dry or after a few weeks of sitting. The return style system also keeps cooler fuel flowing to the engine.

The GM ZZ3/ZZ4 conversion kit for the 3rd gen F-cars even had an in-tank electric pump and a bypass regulator supplied to overcome fuel starvation that resulted from the mechanical 3rd gen pump.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your in-tank fuel pump is capable of producing, let's say 20PSI, your carburetor only needs 3 - 8 PSI. If your pressure regulator isn't a bypass style, your pump will dead head at 20PSI, draw more amps and burn up. The bypass style will maintain the 3 - 8 PSI for the carb and divert the extra fuel back to the tank. This is the same way the TBI works, it has 2 lines from the tank. The big one is the supply and the smaller one is the return. You hook up the big line to the inlet of the regulator and the small line to the return port and the carb to the regulated port. In other words, a non-bypass regulator only has 2 ports where the bypass regulator has 3.

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Sounds simple enough.

Now when I am measuring the TC to determine which flexplate I need, do I measure outside diameter? That's the only way I can figure at least. There's only so many ways a guy can measure something, right?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, gotcha. Sounds simple enough.

Now when I am measuring the TC to determine which flexplate I need, do I measure outside diameter? That's the only way I can figure at least. There's only so many ways a guy can measure something, right?
Just use the 168 tooth so that you can reuse your 4.3 starter.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score