350 headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Countryboy38

Reaction score
Hey guys I got a 93 k1500 with a 350 I installed longtube hooker headers and now my headers stop where my shift linkage comes across to the tranny so I can't install my shift linkage so I was wondering if anyone had any tips or pictures of what they might have done to their truck for this problem. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hammering (denting) clearance into headers is a good choice but that's usually for situations requiring just a little extra room, if the collector is just absolutely in the way the you're kinda sol.... put some shorties on it‍♂️. And headers on a stock 350 will yield no discernable power difference at all so dont stress over having to go back to manifolds or shorties.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hammering (denting) clearance into headers is a good choice but that's usually for situations requiring just a little extra room, if the collector is just absolutely in the way the you're kinda sol.... put some shorties on it‍♂️. And headers on a stock 350 will yield no discernable power difference at all so dont stress over having to go back to manifolds or shorties.

Headers woke my TBI 350 up when I still ran one.

Reaction score
It didn't do anything to my vortec except burn up plug wires so I put the stock manifold back on, I'm still salty about that lmao

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It didn't do anything to my vortec except burn up plug wires so I put the stock manifold back on, I'm still salty about that lmao

Doug Thorley Tri-Ys made a big difference on my Vortec Express van. It would climb the same hills in overdrive it previously downshifted on at highway speeds. Very noticeable torque difference across the whole RPM range.

My stock manifolds cracked twice in 100K.

Never burned plug wires either. The rear plugs are also easier to change with headers, I get them from underneath.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot to add to this, if you add headers and exhaust work, you really need to spend some time getting the ECM tuning dialed in.

Especially true in the case of the Vortec. The stock Vortec PCM often runs up against the factory programmed torque limits and the PCM pulls timing to keep the engine from making more torque than it is limited to. With HP Tuners I datalogged the torque output from the torque model in the PCM.

Reaction score
I forgot to add to this, if you add headers and exhaust work, you really need to spend some time getting the ECM tuning dialed in.

Especially true in the case of the Vortec. The stock Vortec PCM often runs up against the factory programmed torque limits and the PCM pulls timing to keep the engine from making more torque than it is limited to. With HP Tuners I datalogged the torque output from the torque model in the PCM.
The spark plug thing might make headers worth it just in and of itself because the steering shaft on my truck couldn't be more in the freaking way of #3 if gm tried

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The spark plug thing might make headers worth it just in and of itself because the steering shaft on my truck couldn't be more in the freaking way of #3 if gm tried

The rear 2 cylinders on both banks of an Express van could not be harder to get to with the stock manifolds if GM tried. The older vans with the air injection manifolds in the way were easier.