350-383

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
What all is needed for this? I know a 400 crank and balancer... What else? Any machine work need to be done? Plan on doing it to my truck if it isn't too difficult.

SilveradoGuy85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know they will machine the cylinder walls and the block and heads where the 2 meet. That's just to make sure it's level and smooth. If it's a new block and heads they shouldn't have to do that. I don't think they bore the cylinders to 30 over, but they might. I think they also machine at the bottom of the block to clear the piston rods for the longer stroke. I think that's it, could be wrong though.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
Hell, im thinking about just doing a 400 crank to get 377 if it increases a little power

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
.030 bore and a 400 crank. The crank journals need to be line bored to fit the bigger crank. Also the block needs to be clearanced for the crank. And since your getting it machined for a stroker you might as well get it decked and line bored for the crank.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
just buy a stroker crank, new pistons and rods that all work together. depends if you use a 5.7 or a 6.0 rod as to what piston to use. machine work should always be an included factor. youll need new bearings rings etc. you can clean the block and deck it by yourself theres alotof things you can do on your own. the block needs to be clearanced so pick up a set of nice dremel bits and go to town for awhile. when i trimmed those on my 383 i smoothed the oil valley and stuff too. if you use the stock powdered rods you may have to clear the stud and block, otherwise aftermarket rods will allow them to clear just fine.

i assume your going to cam it as well? clean the bores for the lifters well, check all your valvetrain componenets. i dont usually reuse lifters as they are cheap. now would be the time for some port and polish work but make sure your using good casting heads. springs and all that would be wise as well.

it all may seem very costly but i built mine all for 2000 just about. that included machine work, most materials that i didnt havem bearings gaskets, and all that. i kept my costs minimal, made a few friends along the way that gave me suggestions advice and recommendations and had a solid engine. unfortunately for you your tune will cost a biut more, because i certainly wouldnt skip that on a vortec. you could not do it and it may run fine, but you could squeeze quite a bit more power out of the engine with a tune.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Wouldn't a summit 383 block be cheaper than getting all the machine work done? Idk I'm jut asking.

JJHUSSY

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Vortec short blocks are the same as tbi short blocks, if the tbi has provisions for the roller cam.
There are no injectors in any of the blocks.
Vortec 383s have been done, lots.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
yea the blocks can be the same depending if the tbi one is roller or not like said. its not direct injection so the injectors go in the manifold not the block. and manifolds can easily be changed and switched to a vortec style with vortec heads.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I watched the power block episode on the summit 383 and they were over $5000 when they were all said and done