305 to 350 swap computer issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerry666

Reaction score
hi .
just installed a 350 from a 1998 2wd ,
in
my 1996 used to be a 305 both vortec
now i used the 305 computer , it run but idle verry high , has not much power and drink like a piggg.
i gt the computer from the 350 with plug in and 3 feet of wire but the plug in are diffrent what are my option a that point
can i have my original computer reprogramm and where .
can i re wire the 350 computer
or is there a 350 computer that plug right in my original wiring ???
any advice will be apreciated

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
If you are trying to do this on the cheap, you need to find a computer from the same year vehicle as yours with the same gear ratio, transmission ( manual / or automatic and 4L60E / 4L80E and drive. ( 2wd or 4wd )

Yes, you can have your original computer programmed, but they are not widely supported in the aftermarket in terms of vendors.

In 1998 the fuel gauge in the dash is run by a signal from the ECM, in your 1996 it is not.

The high idle can be a symptom of another underlying issue, possibly, but not necessarily related to the 305 computer.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you are trying to do this on the cheap, you need to find a computer from the same year vehicle as yours with the same gear ratio, transmission ( manual / or automatic and 4L60E / 4L80E and drive. ( 2wd or 4wd )

Agree with this 100%.

However, if you want to reprogram your factory computer check these guys out.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/

They can tune your factory computer for the new engine, and make it run even better than it would on a factory 350 tune. Probably get you better gas mileage as well. Definitely more expensive than a junkyard computer swap, but you get free re-tunes for life and they can do all kinds of tweaks for you should you decide you want them later on down the road.

I had them tune my V6 truck and it was the best money I've ever spent on that thing.

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blackbear does great work. Highly recommended. One of the best bang for your buck things to do.