305 tbi to 97 350 cpi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eh just surface rust. Question though do I need the tbi pushrods or the CPI pushrods for the valves?
TBI probably has a flat-tappet camshaft. Long, non-hardened pushrods.

Vortec has an OEM roller cam and roller lifters. Short, non-hardened pushrods.

Pushrod length will be determined by which lifters and cam you use. You'd be nuts to keep the TBI cam with Vortec tune.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless there is a problem with the 97’s bottom end, why would you go through the trouble to swap the heads/intake just to have to run all the wiring etc anyway? Just swap the motor as a whole if you are intent on putting the vortec setup in the 95.

You will need to do some research as well on the trans, 95 was its “own” year and the ecm from the 97 will not run it, at least not in stock form.

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think you’ll be pretty much in the same boat as I was. Take a look at my thread:

Andy’s 1995 CCLB 7.4L TBI to Vortec Swap
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...B-7.4L-TBI-to-Vortec-Swap.45295/&share_type=t

But you’ll be ahead of me because you can use *all* the ‘97 wiring and not have to go through the headaches I had with trying to merge the ‘95 with the newer wiring.

I second the above comment about just using the whole ‘97 engine. You’ll need to take the roller cam with the swap to get it to run on the stock tune and the easiest way to do that is to just take the whole engine.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How bad is the 97 body? If there's no significant damage it would be a lot easier swapping body parts than all that's needed to do what you want.

cookseyb

Reaction score
I thought you were swaping the whole engine, why are you worried about push rods? The 95 is OBD1 and the 97 is OBD2 so you may have to have the computer re done to remove VATS and whatever emmissions you want to delete. The 97 transmission will need to be transfered with the 97 engine, the trannys are basically the same but the controls are different. Good Luck