3” RC lift - control arm clearance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I installed the 3” RC suspension lift on my 97 K1500 about 3 weeks ago. Diff drop, upper control arms w/ joints, shocks w/ brackets, torsion keys, etc. 2” blocks on the rear. The truck seems to ride great except I’m almost positive the upper control arms are hitting the bump stops (actually just bare frame) when the truck hits any sizeable bump in the road. There’s only about a 1/4” of spacing between the upper control arm and the “bump stop” when the truck’s at rest.

I retightend the torsion key adjuster bolts to the factory setting after installing the new keys, so no issue there. There’s 1.5” of additional bolt length on each adjuster . The truck sits perfectly level as is. The control arms are on the right sides of the truck. The alignment shop had to do the knockouts to get the caster decent but it didn’t really change anything regarding this clearance issue as I noticed how close it was before the align.

You must be registered for see images attach

What am I missing here?? Frustrating since I figure one of the reasons for the new arms is to prevent this issue?

jsfrmsj

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you ever get this resolved? Curious about this kit myself.

Deathpunch0311

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You might have to cut them off.
IIRC My 6” rough country lift the directions said the bump stop had to get cut off

What you can do to see if the bump stop is hitting the Frame is to put chalk on the bump stop and drive down the road. Then if it’s hitting you’ll see the chalk on the frame. Kind of like how street racer mark their wheelie bars to see how they’re hitting on the street

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you ever get this resolved? Curious about this kit myself.

As of now, no. I’ve been emailing RC back and forth and they’ve been minimally helpful thus far, they just keep asking for ride height measurements from different places.

I’ve determined that they’re definitely making contact as I can now see scuffs on the stops where the arms are hitting. I don’t have a problem hacking them off but I worry what would prevent the front end from hyper extending whenever I jack the front of the truck off the ground, as I assume that’s one function of the stops? Seems to me the tbars would just keep forcing the armature down, stressing tie rods, ball joints, etc.

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mine are gone and I have had 0 issues.
But I don’t off-road or wheel my truck either.

That’s probably what I’ll end up doing then. Everything else about the lift install and ride is great, but when those arms smack the stops it’s not much fun...

mckee1710

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cut the bump stops off this weekend, and while the ride has improved, the suspension still feels like it doesn’t have enough downward (rebound) travel. From what I can tell, the only thing preventing farther downward travel is the sway bar linkage.

My plan is to disconnect the sway bar and go on a short test drive to see if things improve. If they do, I’ll be hunting for longer sway bar links.

......or just say screw it and drive the damn thing cuz I’m kinda tired of messing with it

Last edited: