2wd to 4wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

juante55

Reaction score
New to this forum but I just got a 95 xt cab from family and its a 2wd with a 3 inch body lift I was thinking of doing something mild Ive owned several Z71 4x4's is there any hope for me. I dont like being stuck anywhere.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Welllll if you can find a donor vehicle for cheap, it can be done. Not easily though. If you are deadset on converting it to 4WD, I would advocate doing a Solid Axle Swap, your going to have to do tons of front end work anyway, and it probably actually would be easier to do a solid front axle instead of an OEM IFS setup. I'd probably start by finding a 4L80E and transfer case (NP205? Somebody correct me if I am wrong, I think I may be), and a Dana 44 or 60 at a junk yard. Then this:

http://offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=18

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Welllll if you can find a donor vehicle for cheap, it can be done. Not easily though. If you are deadset on converting it to 4WD, I would advocate doing a Solid Axle Swap, your going to have to do tons of front end work anyway, and it probably actually would be easier to do a solid front axle instead of an OEM IFS setup. I'd probably start by finding a 4L80E and transfer case (NP205? Somebody correct me if I am wrong, I think I may be), and a Dana 44 or 60 at a junk yard. Then this:

http://offroadunlimited.com/orustore/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=18

The GM NP205 and 208 would both work, they are passenger side drop, as long as he is using a GM front diff. They are also the easiest to find. I'd use the GM Dana 60 but the 10 bolts are dirt cheap and everywhere so that would be the cheapest and easiest way to go. Plus even the 10 bolt will blow away the IFS on the post-87 4x4 trucks off road. The Burbs had a solid axle into the 90s. The NP241 is the IFS t-case that has a driver side drop and would require a different front end if he used that. The 205 is one of the strongest and is gear driven, not chain.

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive been thinking bout this for a 93 suburban ive been thinking about getting. i cant see the use for a nother 2wd and really want the best way to go 4wd. but i dont want to lift it that high, porbably 4 to 5 inches max

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
SAS is the only real hope to do it. If you decide to do that do a lot of research and then come back and ask questions on that. I can tell you there is already some info in this thread that you should stray from.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
I would vote using a 4x4 GMT400 as a donor and use that transfer case, that way all the wiring and shifter setup is OEM. So NP241, the downside is that that requires a Ford style front axle, and we all know how we feel about Fords...

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I would vote using a 4x4 GMT400 as a donor and use that transfer case, that way all the wiring and shifter setup is OEM. So NP241, the downside is that that requires a Ford style front axle, and we all know how we feel about Fords...

It is more about how we feel about the price of ford axles.