262 VS 350: An obvious, difficult choice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So the free engine was taken before I got to it, RIP.

Oh well. I've been given some advice on where to get a good crate engine and I'll head in that direction; but for now, I'm still stripping my frame for the sandblaster. There's a guy in town who will blast it and do 2 layers of powder for $600 or so. Half the price of what the hot galv company wanted, or I definitely would go that way.

Once the roller is done, I'll hit up the engine shop. Thanks for the wisdom, Internet people.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I was wondering about the engine, there are a few ways of getting it to your house. One way was like somebody said before to have a lift truck deliver it right to you but thats $$$. I've had two engines delivered to me. One was to have it go to a distribution center and have them load it into the bed of my pickup with their forklift and then I used a cherry picker at home to unload it in my garage.

Another way which is my new favorite is to have it sent to a small local towing business and they unloaded it from a normal 18 wheeler from their business (the cheapest shipping available) and they delivered it to my house on one of their tilting flatbed wreckers and the crate slowly slid off the truck into my garage without any physical work on my part at all. And the owner of the business delivered it after hours so I had a few beers with him BSing in my garage and he walked away with the rest of the case of beer and that was all I paid to have it hand delivered into my garage.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One way was like somebody said before to have a lift truck deliver it right to you but thats $$$.

Yeah, I paid $65 extra (for a total of $359.20 processing and shipping) to get my trans delivered on a UPS lift gate. Their tracking said it was going to show up Monday the 25th. They called me on Monday and said they don't send lift gates out to Tonopah every day so they set it up for Thursday the 28th. Then they called on Thursday and said it was stuck in Portland due to weather so, I'm supposed to get it today between 11 & 3, I hope! It took longer to ship it from TransDepot.com than it took them to build it!

I've got a case of Dos XX here, I think I'm just going to drink it myself.

Tom Nassar

Reaction score
I have a 1985 C10 Silverado short bed with the 4.3L V6. I am restoring it, but not to be a show truck - just a very dependable and good looking street truck. I decided to rebuild the 4.3L. I had a machine shop do all of that work since their price was affordable. I paid $1700 for the block to be bored, and had to buy another crank. The engine came with a Quadrajet, so that's about as radical as it will get. I'm restoring all of the factory smog system and vacuum lines. The truck came with a TH400 with the short tail shaft, and I had it rebuilt. All of the work I have done so far is complete brake overhaul, replaced all suspension parts including coil springs, replaced all of the rear axle/diff bearings and seals, complete A/C and heater core, new fuel tank sending unit, battery & cables, fuel pump/water pump/air pump, rebuilt the Quadrajet, rebuilt the HEI distributor, replaced all sending units, and exhaust including the cat. Next I will start on the body and some interior work which is already in excellent shape. I'm on target to spend about $7000, but I'll have a new truck when I am done.