262 VS 350: An obvious, difficult choice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The line "we even have the same birthday" was used by someone on here that was trying to get us to help pay for his truck to get rebuilt, I thought he was back.

I'd go for the 5.7 if you want period correct and a 5.3 if you want more fun.

Reaction score
That's an interesting coincidence, I saw that when I searched the forum too. Yeah no, I do my own stuff. This is my daily driver, not a museum piece... and I don't run a museum anyway.

I'll chalk up one more on the 5.7 list, lol

Reaction score
I haven't read about the 5.3. That's LS? Anyway to keep the stock TBI air cleaner?

A joke, I'll stick with TBI. I'm not after 400 hp, but 300 would be nice. I think I can pull that off with TBI.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If this is a manual, I'd probably stick with the V6. Otherwise, I'd look at an LS engine, although you did mention a free 350 out of a 3rd gen Camaro.... but are you sure it's a 350 and not a 305? I think that's a TPI engine. There is a guy on here with a TPI setup in his truck, and it's really nice, but unless it's something that really interest you, I'd skip it. Why invest in swapping to an old EFI engine for a mild interest, especially if it's only a 305.

Reaction score
My truck is automatic.

The listing says that it's a 350 and it looked like a TBI unit in the photograph, but to be fair, I have no idea what TPI is or what it looks like so it very well may be.. maybe a previous owner 'upgraded' it with a 350 truck engine in the 80s or 90s? If it's a 305 I feel like I'll stick with my 262. I'm on a work computer or else I would post the picture!

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My truck is automatic.

The listing says that it's a 350 and it looked like a TBI unit in the photograph, but to be fair, I have no idea what TPI is or what it looks like so it very well may be.. maybe a previous owner 'upgraded' it with a 350 truck engine in the 80s or 90s? If it's a 305 I feel like I'll stick with my 262. I'm on a work computer or else I would post the picture!

Listing? I assumed it was from a friend. If it's listed as free, they probably just want an offer, and aren't actually giving it away.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
“Free” is rarely actually free. If it is actually free, I’m assuming that it’s a rebuildable core, not a solid running engine. Also not so many 3rd gen camaros came with 350’s, and I may be wrong but I don’t think a tbi 350 was offered at all in those cars. I believe in ‘86 or’87 they came out with the Tuned port (TPI) 350 as the only 350 option for these cars, and 305’s were available in carbed, tbi, and tpi variations. Millions were built with 305’s though too so before you go through the hassle of pulling it, check the block number and verify it is a 350.

If it is a 350, and it is free, go get it. You can always use it to offset a core charge on a reman/crate 350.

My advice, putting a tbi 350 in there will be the most cost effective engine upgrade. Bolts right up, wiring harness needs only minor modifications if any to work. A v8 distributor and tbi unit and you will be off to the races.

Reaction score
That's the listing picture. It will need to be rebuilt, I already knew that. So does my 262. Am i looking at a 305 in actuality? Is that TPI? It looks kind of like tbi to me but then it is a little different.

Would a TPI block not work with tbi? I'll be changing over to Vortec heads and intake so I'm only concerned about the block.