262 VS 350: An obvious, difficult choice.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a 4bbl carburetor. But it does have the newer style heads. Could be 083 tpi heads of it could be 191/193 swirl port tbi heads.
Having a second look at the intake bolt pattern. It looks to be vortec heads. The intake boots are str8 down .

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How about adding a supercharger to your fresh 4.3?

Reaction score
I looked at a few supercharger options and they're all a little rich for me. All were 4 digit pricetags.

If that engine already has Vortec heads I'm now much more interested.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I looked at a few supercharger options and they're all a little rich for me. All were 4 digit pricetags.

That's the problem with hopping up a 4.3L. They can take some boost and they're great little engines, but you will end up dumping a metric ton of money into one to get it to that level. Check out Twisted Six on various social media as an example, he runs one in a Chevy LUV drag truck.

As the owner of a 4.3L truck that I'm also very sentimental about, I considered building up the 4.3L for a few years. It's always cool to be the guy doing something different. Problem is after doing some research I realized I'd have to spend way too much money to get it where I wanted. I accepted that fact and I'm just running the factory 4.3L until it has issues, at which point the truck will get an '06-'07 six liter LQ4. Way more room to grow for around the same money.

homesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having driven a truck similar to mine with the 4.3, I'd say go for a 5.7. Keep your original six, but you'll be happier with the 5.7.

I agree with this. Keep the original motor, you can always reinstall it or sell it along with the truck. This gives you BOTH choices, power AND originality.

joe

homesick

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I used to have a six-lug K2500 with the 350 and it felt a lot nicer. Sounded better, too... I suppose if I keep the old block then I still have all the parts, and that's points for originality, right?

I'll run it by my wife as well - she might not be keen on two 262s in the garage, lol but who knows? The 350 is free, after all.

Put your damn foot down- say "please".

joe

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those are vortec heads with a carburetor intake and a Holley 4bbl carb. Could be a later 305 vortec (those do NOT have the desirable true “vortec” heads) check your casting numbers on the block and heads to be sure.

On the flip side, if it’s free carb to pan complete - that intake and carb can be cleaned up and either reused by you or flipped and make a few bucks even if the block and heads are junk.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I might be shopping at the wrong places, but it seems tough to get any reliable power unless you spend well into the 4 digits. I'm not talking big power (that takes 5 digits).

I suggest you leave the truck alone, if you aren't willing to spend at least a couple grand, you might just end up disappointed.

Reaction score
I didn't think I had to throw my savings down the hole for something like gently modding an engine? Am I wrong?

My plan was to add Vortec heads and intake, the next size up injectors and air cleaner with a salad bowl mod, and maybe, maybe a mild cam. Of course I know I would probably need a chip at that point, but I guess I figured I could get it all done for under a grand If I played my cards right. Whether it was done to a 350 or 262 was the only real question, and only because I already have the 262 and there seems to be a potentially free 350 if I'm lucky.

There's obviously a lot I have to learn as evidenced by the whole TPI thing being completely off my radar (didn't even know that was a thing) but am I that far out of reality?

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes and no. (On being in reality)
Reality - get a junkyard tbi 350 put some new gaskets in it and bolt it in. You have a huge improvement over the v6 with the least amount of modifications. This will be a great bang for the buck and will be probably the ONLY way you spend less than a grand.

You add in different heads and an intake will likely cost another grand unless you get stupid lucky on good used parts.

Oh and don’t pay any attention to tpi injection - at least for now that’s a whole nother ball of wax you don’t need to mess with at his stage.