2500 crew cab rebuild parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xjsciortino

Reaction score
Hi all. I woke up today to find out my truck was hit in the rear while parked. Besides the main and cosmetic body damage, it looks like the leaf spring and the hanger took the worst of everything. I’m not buying parts yet to fix it, just want to find out and know which parts are compatible. Looks like I will need to buy a new leaf spring set, new u bolts to go with it, a new leaf spring hanger and probably replace my hitch while I am at it. I looked online and found most the parts. The main question I have is the compatibility with leaf springs between my crew cab short bed and a different model such as an extended cab or suburban.

I’m guessing the insurance will total it out so I’d like to see realistically if it’s worth fixing to be on the road or make it a personal plow truck

You must be registered for see images attach

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yes anything structural is an automatic total, especially if the vehicle is older. Been there with my other 99 Burb, when it got hit by a jerk running a red light. Frame horns and motor mounts broken, and needed a new front clip. Took the money offered by the insurance company (after much arguing!) and bought the current Burb.
Too bad you're in NY, because I saw at the local yard last week, a gold or pewter 400 crew cab. Looked pretty straight for a work truck too. Hopefully you can find one closer to you....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not buying parts yet to fix it, just want to find out and know which parts are compatible. Looks like I will need to buy a new leaf spring set, new u bolts to go with it, a new leaf spring hanger and probably replace my hitch while I am at it. I looked online and found most the parts. The main question I have is the compatibility with leaf springs between my crew cab short bed and a different model such as an extended cab or suburban.
Leaf spring lengths are unique to each of the three major body styles - pickups, Blazer/Tahoe/Yukon/Jimmy, and Suburban...so in other words, your leafs must come from another pickup. Which cab style of pickup doesn't matter (regular, extended, crew), but the # of leafs and specific GVWR will.

They're right though that insurance will total that. If you dig the truck, see what it would cost to buy it back from them...

Richard

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Leaf spring lengths are unique to each of the three major body styles - pickups, Blazer/Tahoe/Yukon/Jimmy, and Suburban...so in other words, your leafs must come from another pickup. Which cab style of pickup doesn't matter (regular, extended, crew), but the # of leafs and specific GVWR will.

They're right though that insurance will total that. If you dig the truck, see what it would cost to buy it back from them...

Richard
I agree with everyone else, that is totaled.
Side note, Richard, I noticed not too long ago that if you combine the truck main leafs with burb lower leafs that someone can build a 5 leaf spring pack that ought to be on par with the F44 heavy spring.

xjsciortino

Reaction score

Richard

Great to know that. Just bummed about it since I’ve only had it for a few months and was looking forward to rebuilding it when the weather got nice. I guess I’ll see what check they cut me and how much it would be to buy it back

xjsciortino

Reaction score
Yes anything structural is an automatic total, especially if the vehicle is older. Been there with my other 99 Burb, when it got hit by a jerk running a red light. Frame horns and motor mounts broken, and needed a new front clip. Took the money offered by the insurance company (after much arguing!) and bought the current Burb.
Too bad you're in NY, because I saw at the local yard last week, a gold or pewter 400 crew cab. Looked pretty straight for a work truck too. Hopefully you can find one closer to you....

yes I wish I didn’t live in Ny either. Between the salt and the drivers it is hard to keep anything nice. I might still buy it back and keep it to fix or what not. Sucks that it was a perfectly running and driving vehicle that still runs and drives mostly fine now

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I agree with everyone else, that is totaled.
Side note, Richard, I noticed not too long ago that if you combine the truck main leafs with burb lower leafs that someone can build a 5 leaf spring pack that ought to be on par with the F44 heavy spring.
They totalled this truck (my '06 Intimdator SS) and it still ran/drove just fine other than the need for a taillight to be legal. Pic is me bringing it home from buying it at the Copart auction. Fortunately, it's all better now. :D

Skylark.. yeah, if one isn't afraid of releasing tension on the spring pack to disassemble, you can do some mix and match to fatten up a pack. Had a customer years ago with a K1500 Tahoe that sagged in the rear (seems kind of common once they get some miles), brought it to me hoping to swap in heavier springs. When I explained the length issue, and he didn't want to spend the bucks on new springs, we grabbed a Suburban pack and pulled them apart and chose one of the leafs from it based on how it fit into his existing pack, slapped it all back together and leveled his Tahoe out nicely.

Richard

xjsciortino

Reaction score
They totalled this truck (my '06 Intimdator SS) and it still ran/drove just fine other than the need for a taillight to be legal. Pic is me bringing it home from buying it at the Copart auction. Fortunately, it's all better now. :D

Skylark.. yeah, if one isn't afraid of releasing tension on the spring pack to disassemble, you can do some mix and match to fatten up a pack. Had a customer years ago with a K1500 Tahoe that sagged in the rear (seems kind of common once they get some miles), brought it to me hoping to swap in heavier springs. When I explained the length issue, and he didn't want to spend the bucks on new springs, we grabbed a Suburban pack and pulled them apart and chose one of the leafs from it based on how it fit into his existing pack, slapped it all back together and leveled his Tahoe out nicely.

Richard

Good deal on that SS. I’ve been wanting one for so long, but it’s impossible to find one around here in decent shape for 15k or less