2019+ BRAKE SETUP INFO

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newby96

Reaction score
So been doing some looking and what not. I'm getting ready to start on my project and was wondering if this is possible and if has anyone done it??? So what I was thinking, I have a 1996 scsb truck. i seen where you can put 03-06 spindles on these trucks. So with that being said. You can modify the 03-06 spindles for the 2019 bigger brakes (6 piston and so). Was wondering if it has been done and if so what issues is there or not. If so show me some of your setups.

Attachments

• 2019 big brake.jpg
    2019 big brake.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 2019 big brake 3.jpg
    2019 big brake 3.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 2019 big brake 2.jpg
    2019 big brake 2.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 6

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it’s doable with some mix matching of parts. I’m currently building my front end with c7 spindles and 6th gen zl1 brakes(6 piston 15.35”) I don’t foresee there being any issues besides getting the proper rotor offset. I currently have that issue and am fixing it with a 1/4” spacer between the spindle and hub. You will most likely need some extended brake lines and banjo bolts to match the calipers as well.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So been doing some looking and what not. I'm getting ready to start on my project and was wondering if this is possible and if has anyone done it??? So what I was thinking, I have a 1996 scsb truck. i seen where you can put 03-06 spindles on these trucks. So with that being said. You can modify the 03-06 spindles for the 2019 bigger brakes (6 piston and so). Was wondering if it has been done and if so what issues is there or not. If so show me some of your setups.
I haven't seen the definitive info on using 03-06 spindles on a GMT400 but if you can do that, the rest should be trivial. The T1XX factory option "big" brakes w/13.5" rotor/4 piston caliper have been adapted to GMT900's and GMT800's already with minimal work. Of course wheel selection gets to be pretty important as many have found the "rib" on the OEM caliper rubs against the inner face of some of the earlier factory wheels - the rib can be ground off, but that's still not enough for some wheels to work. And, rotor size requires an upgrade in wheel diameter if you're running below 17's or so.

The GMPP brakes that utilize a 16" Brembo rotor and 6 piston caliper would be nice to see on a GMT400. These are the upgrade brakes you'll see on some of the big late model SUV's (and a few sport trucks) and the kit is around $2300. As a byproduct it also has created a lot of take-off new OEM 13.5" rotor/4 piston caliper sets being sold fairly cheap - about $350 or so.

Richard

newby96

Reaction score
I haven't ordered anything yet. But my research I've been reading. You use 03 truck spindles you have to use a 10 degree reamer to ream holes for gm 400 ball joints to fit the gm800 spindles. Sean tgat the 4x4 ones can even use tge gm800 wheel bearings with gm 400 axle shafts. When using the 2019 up brakes. You have to shim caliper with a washer for them to fit the gm 800 spindles. So from everything I'm reading it should be able to be done. I will be starting my build of my 96 RCSB silverado here. Soon. Gonna be big brakes and 5.3 swap. I'll keep this post updated as I get more completed with this.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the total piston area of those calipers to see if your master cylinder will work ok with the newer brakes?

2drXmobb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen some use ctsv brembo brakes on the nbs. And I've seen some use awd astro van spindles but can't verify the components. The old thread for the nbs spindle swap doesn't have pictures anymore for some reason. I don't want to go aftermarket I rather use OEM brakes just for simplicity.

newby96

Reaction score
Have you checked the total piston area of those calipers to see if your master cylinder will work ok with the newer brakes
Was going to do the obs master cylinder upgrade also. They use them on the same set up.

Alteca

Truck go vroom
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Was going to do the obs master cylinder upgrade also. They use them on the same set up.
I was running 4 piston brembos, 14” rotors for a while from a 2010 camaro ss. They most likely have the same or very similar piston area. I also had a 1.34” master from a nbs Silverado and hated it. I thought I liked it at first. The pedal feel is amazing but you just cannot get enough pressure out of it in an emergency stop situation. I think hydroboost is your best option. If that’s not something you want maybe try the 1.25” master that some of the nbs silverados had.