2005 4Runner off-road rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XJPhoenix

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Very nice 4Runners! I had a 1996 4Runner and loved it, but the frame rotted out from the inside and I just couldn't afford to repair it . I'd have bought another in a heartbeat, but the frame issues keep me away. I'd hoped that Toyota didn't make the same mistakes with the newer 4Runners.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very nice 4Runners! I had a 1996 4Runner and loved it, but the frame rotted out from the inside and I just couldn't afford to repair it . I'd have bought another in a heartbeat, but the frame issues keep me away. I'd hoped that Toyota didn't make the same mistakes with the newer 4Runners.

Thanks. Rust isnt much of an issue where I live. It almost never snows here, so no salted roads. Im about 35miles from the Gulf of Mexico, so Im far enough from the ocean. My 4 runner has zero rust. It is a street runner, so it never goes off road. No mud, no gravel roads, ECT. My 97 Silverado is the same way. As long as you keep them waxed up, and the inside clean
its not to hard to keep them looking good.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bumper finally arrived. It was all scratched up from the freight company so that pissed me off. I am going to take it off and take it to be re-powdercoated as the offroad fab company said they would take care of it.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

John B

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice! Did like the V8's except for the timing BELT! We have a 2015. It's "OK". Toyota is really cutting corners on interior trim, paint and just about everything else except for the motor and transmission. Guess that is what you are paying for. My '99 was better built ad the seats were comfortable.

I'd buy a GX470, though :)

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Very nice! Did like the V8's except for the timing BELT! We have a 2015. It's "OK". Toyota is really cutting corners on interior trim, paint and just about everything else except for the motor and transmission. Guess that is what you are paying for. My '99 was better built ad the seats were comfortable.

I'd buy a GX470, though :)

Yeah the interiors on these 4th gens arent the best. My Suburban is way better compared to the 4Runner in terms of comfort etc. The seats in the 4Runner were like sitting on rocks so i replaced them with seats out of a LeBaron sedan. It's not my daily though, so I cant complain too much haha.