2005 4Runner off-road rig

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any Toyota fans in the house? I got this a few years ago with the intent to use it as a daily when I had my pickup.
It's an 05 Sr5 with the 4.7 V8. First thing I did was remove the running boards.
You must be registered for see images attach

Next, I changed the stock street tires out for some 265/70/17 BFG Mud Terrains. It was pretty capable stock. Surprised me actually, as I took on some pretty gnarly trails. I have the downhill assist control and center diff lock also.

I added a custom built roof rack that I got off of Craigslist. I added 2 led pods on the hood and 1 in the bumper. And put on 1.25" Spidertrax wheel spacers.

Somewhere in between I put in these ultra comfy seats out of an old LeBaron since I have back problems, and the old seats weren't making me feel comfortable.

Next I put in the lift. Aftermarket control arms, Bilstein 5100s, 2.5" lift coils and a spacer to keep the front level.

Picked up some 33" Cooper STT Pros with steel wheels. Had to do some trimming.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here is my wifes 04-4 runner SR5 4.0L V6 . You should join www.toyotatruckclub.com We could use all the members we can get. Its very slow compared to this place, but a nice rig like yours would be a welcome addition.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is my wifes 04-4 runner SR5 4.0L V6 . You should join www.toyotatruckclub.com We could use all the members we can get. Its very slow compared to this place, but a nice rig like yours would be a welcome addition.

That thing is mint, man! I'll have a look at that site. Those v6s are surprisingly really good motors.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks. I took it in a few months ago for inspection. The tech said " what year is your 4 runner ?" I said 04, he says man I thought this was the first inspection. I kind of laughed and said, no it has 130,000 miles on it. I was surprised how good the v6 runs, and how much power it has for a v6. The inside is clean too.

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4 Runners are well built rigs but where I live that era has serious frame rust problems. The crossmember below the radiator goes first then holes in the frame ahead of rear spring forward mounts then the front control arm pockets let go. If you have a pickup they give you a new frame if you have a 4 runner too bad you get nothing.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My local Toyota dealer has been grate. They replaced my dash at no cost to me, on a recall. I did not buy my Toyota from them. I bought it from the local Chevy dealer. Used of course. I gave $10,000 for it in 2012. It had about 80,000 miles on the clock. It wasn't as clean as it is now. My wife and I are very good at getting them to look grate. Just takes a lot of elbow grease, and buffers, compound, ect. Resolve carpet cleaner works good on the inside, and we do have a carpet shampooer.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4 Runners are well built rigs but where I live that era has serious frame rust problems. The crossmember below the radiator goes first then holes in the frame ahead of rear spring forward mounts then the front control arm pockets let go. If you have a pickup they give you a new frame if you have a 4 runner too bad you get nothing.

Yeah someone posted on one of the 4Runner face book groups. He had a 4th gen with frame rot so bad you could see right through. Sucks, because the rest of the truck was mint.
The frame on mine is pretty good. Some surface rust here and there but for the most part it is mint.
I am from Tucson, and moving back soon so my trucks will last a little longer once I get them out of the rust belt...lol.