2000 6.0L swap to 1998 lift sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

olered98

Reaction score
Looking to swap 6.0l and 4l80e 2wd trans to a 1998 sierra 4x4....my question is does anyone have a wiring diagram and parts info for this swap to work and can i convert the 2wd 4l80e to 4x4 and can i reuse my stock transfer case...will driveshaft need to be modified??
Im using this truck for swap as it was givin to me and being at the end of the earth in northern canada...donor trucks are hard to find and when you do gold is cheaper to buy....looking for all and anyone info to get this done...1998 is my daily driver/work/hunting truck so i would like to down it for shortest time possible...thanks in advance

Last edited:

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
is the 1998 a half ton or 3/4? If it has the 4l80e already you wont need different driveshafts. You can convert the 4l80e to 4x4 with a new tailshaft and tailhousing bug its a pretty extensive process from what ive read. youll need the wiring harness from both trucks, as well as the pcm's. There is a guy around here that has the pinouts for the harness's named lextec. Im not sure about reusing the transfer case though. Im sure someone else will chime in before long to fill in the blanks

olered98

Reaction score
is the 1998 a half ton or 3/4? If it has the 4l80e already you wont need different driveshafts. You can convert the 4l80e to 4x4 with a new tailshaft and tailhousing bug its a pretty extensive process from what ive read. youll need the wiring harness from both trucks, as well as the pcm's. There is a guy around here that has the pinouts for the harness's named lextec. Im not sure about reusing the transfer case though. Im sure someone else will chime in before long to fill in the blanks

Sorry folks... my truck is a 1998 gmc sierra ext cab k1500 5.7L 4L60e(rebuilt..upgraded almost everything,except planetaries) 6 inch rough country lift with 315/75r16.

Donor truck is a 2000 gmc sierra ext cab 2wd c2500 6.0L ...4L80e trans no mods done plain jane work truck

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Honestly if you have a upraded 4l60 i would run that until you have the time/money to swap the 4l80 in. Plus if you keep the 60 you can keep your driveshafts, tcase, and trans wiring and wont have to move/make a tranny crossmember. As long as you font beat it to bad the 4l60 should Hold up fine

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
Lol....thats what im afraid of....i dont abuse it by any means.....but i do drive it in a way that there will never be carbon deposits....lol
You should be fine just after the 6.0 swap just make it a priority to have the 80 ready to go it at a moments notice. The 4l60 is usually pretty good about letting you know when its getting ready to go. Itll start shifting harsh from 1-2 and slipping, then its all over.

olered98

Reaction score
You should be fine just after the 6.0 swap just make it a priority to have the 80 ready to go it at a moments notice. The 4l60 is usually pretty good about letting you know when its getting ready to go. Itll start shifting harsh from 1-2 and slipping, then its all over.
yeah it did that the 2nd time....puked the 3-4 clutches out.....when i bought it the trans had blown the pump up....was a roller....has been really good...i like it but i will go to the 4l80e when i can or maybe an allison if one falls out of the sky....just want that extra insurance so to speak.....i like overkill that why you find yourself stranded less....lol

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
If you get an allison youll need to make a new trans tunnel or get a body lift. Like i said just have the 4l80 ready to go in, or whenever you get it done swap it in and sell the 4l60 before it goes out. From the sounds of where you live it shouldnt be to hard to sell a good working trans

olered98

Reaction score
If you get an allison youll need to make a new trans tunnel or get a body lift. Like i said just have the 4l80 ready to go in, or whenever you get it done swap it in and sell the 4l60 before it goes out. From the sounds of where you live it shouldnt be to hard to sell a good working trans
Yeah ill keep 4l80e...it will be more then enough trans and ill upgrade it before the install.....same as the 6.0l will go through before swap..so its one and done.....who was the guy you said had pin out for harness? Who has the best swap kit....i see a swap and they used S&P i believe...and it look more like bolt in and up and not have to custom truck as installin....do you know of them or would you recommend someone else?

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
I have no idea if you can get them shipped to you but ive heard good things about dirty dingo swap mounts. I dont think there is an aftermarket trans crossmember but you should be able to move and modify the stock one to work. Lextec has the pinout sheets for the wiring. Youll have to pm him, he just asks that you dont share the info.