2 dead fuses and no instrument cluster lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Savanah23

Reaction score
I've got a 97 k1500 5.7L. When I parked it I had lights on my instrument cluster and now I dont. My indicator lights still work (seat belt, brights, CEL, air bag, etc) but none of my gauges do. Also lost power to fuse number 14 and fuse number 9. Neither one of them is blown though. I have a really hard time comprehending anything electrical so I have no idea where to even start other than using a test light to check for power at the fuses. Any help is greatly appreciated!

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got a 97 k1500 5.7L. When I parked it I had lights on my instrument cluster and now I dont. My indicator lights still work (seat belt, brights, CEL, air bag, etc) but none of my gauges do. Also lost power to fuse number 14 and fuse number 9. Neither one of them is blown though. I have a really hard time comprehending anything electrical so I have no idea where to even start other than using a test light to check for power at the fuses. Any help is greatly appreciated!
Do you have an aftermarket stereo installed?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing shortly after I bought it. The culprit was the wiring on the back of the head unit. It was causing the circuit to blow forget which one, but I think it was 14. The illumination circuit is the gray wire behind the dash. There's a few places it'll pop up, but you'll want to look up the instrument cluster illumination circuit to trace the disconnect. It connects to the instrument cluster, the head unit, and the options on the right of the instrument cluster. If the instrument cluster is the only thing that lost light, trace the gray wire and the ground wires coming from the harness behind the instrument cluster, that's where your problem will be. If everything on the circuit lost light, you'll want to trace the wire back to the headlight switch, the convenience center, or the fuse itself. I'm a little fuzzy on the details at this point, but a Google search will bring up the circuit.

Savanah23

Reaction score
Mine did the same thing shortly after I bought it. The culprit was the wiring on the back of the head unit. It was causing the circuit to blow forget which one, but I think it was 14. The illumination circuit is the gray wire behind the dash. There's a few places it'll pop up, but you'll want to look up the instrument cluster illumination circuit to trace the disconnect. It connects to the instrument cluster, the head unit, and the options on the right of the instrument cluster. If the instrument cluster is the only thing that lost light, trace the gray wire and the ground wires coming from the harness behind the instrument cluster, that's where your problem will be. If everything on the circuit lost light, you'll want to trace the wire back to the headlight switch, the convenience center, or the fuse itself. I'm a little fuzzy on the details at this point, but a Google search will bring up the circuit.

Yeah see even reading all that I'm like wait whaaaa? Lol. If I read it over and over very slowly I know I'll understand what youre saying before I go to bed tonight atleast. Haha

You said it caused #14 to blow? None of my fuses blew they just lost power

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah see even reading all that I'm like wait whaaaa? Lol. If I read it over and over very slowly I know I'll understand what youre saying before I go to bed tonight atleast. Haha

You said it caused #14 to blow? None of my fuses blew they just lost power
So you have no power at the fuse? How are you testing this?

Savanah23

Reaction score
So you have no power at the fuse? How are you testing this?

Yes no power at those 2 fuses. I tested it with a 12 volt test light. And I tested the test light itself first.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Savanah23

Reaction score