1999 Tahoe 4X4 - Keepin' it Clean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been away for a few years, but I'm back with another GMT-400. This time a '99 Tahoe.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

This was my dad's truck. He is who I got my love of vehicles from. He babied everything he ever owned, and this Tahoe was no exception. He picked it up from a salvage yard about 5 years ago. It had been rebuilt by the owner there (rebuilt title) after coming in with heavy front-end damage. The engine was completely rebuilt with new gaskets everywhere. The only issue it had at the time of purchase (that I can remember) was the 4-wheel drive engaged kinda harshly. My dad got that fixed pretty quick, and he put about 7-8K miles on it over the next 5 years. He waxed/polished this thing monthly, making sure all of the imperfections were taken care of. New hinges on the passenger door, repair the rock chips/rust spots on the hood, repair the rust on the rear barn doors, cleaned up the wheels, etc.

My dad passed away unexpectedly last October... The truck is now mine.

So with a very heavy heart, I take over for him in keeping this amazing vehicle in the pristine condition he wanted it to be in. I took possession (officially) about 2 weeks ago (my brother was using it in the meantime), and immediately took it to the shop. $2K later, it has fresh oil, new brakes, new passenger-front wheel hub, and all new A/C guts. I also ordered a K&N cold air intake for it, a Weathertech cargo mat to preserve the carpet (fits perfectly, by the way - worth the coin for sure), and some window deflectors.

Dad was adamant about keeping his vehicles looking factory original, so I doubt I do many changes to the look of the truck. My long-term plans are as follows:
- new shocks (mechanic said they are about due, but I'd be fine to finish the year on the current ones)
- window tint
- OE or OE looking step bars (so my stumpy-legged wife can get in the truck without complaining)
- a backup camera to aid in rear visibility (barn door blind spot)
- possibly converting to leather interior (still not sure about this - the cloth is in great shape)
- headers / catback / tune will likely be the extent of the power mods (LSx swap WAY down the road, when the 5.7 is too tired to perform)
- (new 9-18-15) get some PDR done to this thing - I've recently realized it has a lot of small dents/dings on the doors

Beyond that, I'm going to keep the look original on the outside. I've always loved looking at what some of you have done to your trucks/SUVs, but I'm going to keep this thing looking as original as possible out of respect. I'll bump this as things happen...

Last edited:

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that about your Dad passing. My Mom passed away last August. I hear ya with the heavy heart.

It's great you've got a vehicle that was his. Looks like he kept it nice. Now clean that oxidation off the headlights! It's amazing how fast they yellow. Before I changed mine out, I made it part of my wash routine to clean them.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your father, But at least you can keep his memory alive with his truck

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that about your Dad passing. My Mom passed away last August. I hear ya with the heavy heart.

It's great you've got a vehicle that was his. Looks like he kept it nice. Now clean that oxidation off the headlights! It's amazing how fast they yellow. Before I changed mine out, I made it part of my wash routine to clean them.
I'm sorry for your loss, even though we both know those words don't offer much help no matter how many people say them...

I didn't mention the clean-up items in my original post. The headlights need cleaned up still, the rear bumper has nearly rotted out completely, and the Chevy bowtie has come off of the grill (the gold part of the emblem). All of those will be fixed as well. I still need to go over the interior again (grand-kids in the back seat did some work) as well, and possibly replace some weather stripping.

Sorry to hear about your father, But at least you can keep his memory alive with his truck

Thanks. That's the plan. I'll be upgrading my current Camaro to the new 6th Gen in a couple years, but the truck will stay with me forever.

Z Fury

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A little update. A lot of things have been going on.

I have running boards, the K&N CAI, and a shipment from SB LEDs ready to be installed on the truck, but then my daughter was born. So things have been on hold while I learn to be a dad.

I got in the truck yesterday morning to come back to work, and the brake pedal fell to the ground. I have no braking power at all, and almost wrecked (I was in reverse going out of the driveway when the brakes died). Fortunately I was able to avoid a collision and get the truck safely back into the driveway. As far as mechanic skills go, I'm probably a 2 or 3 / 10 on a good day, but it honestly feels like a busted brake line. I'll be looking at it after work today, and if it isn't something stupid-easy like brake fluid or something, I'll get it towed in for repairs.

In all honesty, it broke at the absolute best time. I was driving it around town the day before, even getting on I-69 for a couple miles (~70 mph). As much as I hate taking a vehicle to the shop for stuff like this, this issue could have resulted in something really bad...

98BlackSierra

Lifelong Chevy Owner
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine in 2010 and my '98 Silverado was his that he bought new.

The Tahoe looks great man. That's the nice thing about GMT400's. They look great completely stock, lifted in the air, or lowered to the ground. What ever path you choose with it, I'm sure your dad will be looking down with a big smile on his face with a nod of approval.