1999 CCSB drive line vibration after lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

montess85

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I put a RCD 6 inch lift in my truck and I have a slight vibration on takeoff. I also feel a vibration in my feet through the floors while doing highway speeds. I just had the drive shaft rebuilt with new u joints and a new carrier bearing. Also had it balanced. The shop told me it was a little bent but the were able to fix it and it balanced out. It seems a little better but I still have the vibration both on takeoff and at highway speeds. Now my guess is I'm gonna have to lower that carrier bearing bracket. Has anyone here ever done that before? It doesn't look like a simple spacers is gonna cut it since the carrier bearing sit on top of the cross member.

goobs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
you might be able to flip the bracket. also check and make sure the pinion and trans output are aligned properly

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have the same truck and just did the same lift back in March. Had the same symptoms as well. If you look at the crossmember where the center support is, the part that the bearing bolts to is U shaped welded to the crossmember. I was going to cut that all the way off and then use spacers to space it up. You can't just flip the carrier bearing because it will be too low under the crossmember. There is a TSB from GM for the takeoff shudder/vibration. The fix is to put in a 1 piece driveline that GM wants $800 for. My problem with that was, with the lift it looks like the 1 piece would work fine until the rear suspension droops and the driveline would probably hit the crossmember. So I called a local driveline shop and he said he has been making C.V. drivelines for the GM, Ford, and Dodge guys that have the 2 piece design and get a vibration after lifting. So that is what I did. He built me a new driveline with new ujoints and CV for $600. Hope this helps.

montess85

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well I happen to have a friend who owns a drivline shop locally....I ended up dropping it off there....I'll see what he comes up with....

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even though my truck is only a 97 2wd ext cab, when I had the fabtech 7.5" kit installed it came with a spacer for the crossmember to allow the carrier bearing to drop down.. it went from sitting inside the frame rails to underneath them..

montess85

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it's been at the drive line shop for almost 3 months. They say there always to busy to mess with it. I guess they tried a few things but it was worse than when it came in. They tell me it's perfectly fine to drive. And that they will let me know when they will have time to look at it. This truck is really making me sick. I wish I never lifted it.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
I would be curious to know what the proper angles are for 1.Out of the tranny 2. After the carrier bearing 3. Pinion Angle. I don't have the exact truck but I have a 1997 4x4 1500 ccsb that has a 2 piece drive shaft. I boxed the frame and put in a different drive shaft out of a 2500. It helped a lot, put a 1" block under it today and it was really good, but I don't know what angles it should have. I know I could move the rubber in the carrier about 1/2 - 3/4 inch so I know I need a carrier. Let me know what you find out with yours.

Jdoggat22

Reaction score
So I have the same truck and just did the same lift back in March. Had the same symptoms as well. If you look at the crossmember where the center support is, the part that the bearing bolts to is U shaped welded to the crossmember. I was going to cut that all the way off and then use spacers to space it up. You can't just flip the carrier bearing because it will be too low under the crossmember. There is a TSB from GM for the takeoff shudder/vibration. The fix is to put in a 1 piece driveline that GM wants $800 for. My problem with that was, with the lift it looks like the 1 piece would work fine until the rear suspension droops and the driveline would probably hit the crossmember. So I called a local driveline shop and he said he has been making C.V. drivelines for the GM, Ford, and Dodge guys that have the 2 piece design and get a vibration after lifting. So that is what I did. He built me a new driveline with new ujoints and CV for $600. Hope this helps.

Same exact issue. Do you have a pic of the drive shaft they made? I need the same thing. DS shop here said to let the carrier bearing loose to move around, way worse! Please help haha im tired of this.

1999gmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Same exact issue. Do you have a pic of the drive shaft they made? I need the same thing. DS shop here said to let the carrier bearing loose to move around, way worse! Please help haha im tired of this.

Yeah. I'll try and ge some pics tomorrow. I thought I had some on here, but I guess not.