1998 Suburban K1500 rear defogger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildncrazyguy

Reaction score
Hi all. Looking for direction on my Suburban rear defrost. I had picked up a kit from permatex and was going to work on it today, but the more I tested, the more it looks like I might have a wire or two not working from the door switch. It seems there are two wires for each door. Each side seems to control a grid that meshes back and forth in each window. The more testing I did, it seems that only one side works on each door.

If anyone knows for sure or can test their own to confirm, much appreciated. Just take a test light and ground the light to the frame or whatever. Turn the key on and then press the rear defogger, make sure it lights. Then test for power on the door switches on either side. On the driver's door in the rear, there are 2 pins and on the passenger door in the rear, there are 4 pins. The driver side door on mine, only the bottom pin has current. On the passenger side door, only the top pin has current. The 4 pin switch, as I understand is top to bottom: rear defrost, rear defrost, door lock, and dome light.

My door lock is also intermittent. Works sometimes and sometimes not... So bad I don't trust it at all. I always check to be sure if it's locked or unlocked. Pain in the rear really.

Getting back to the defrost. My question is are both pins hot when defrost is on? That would only make sense to me, but I wonder why one pin on either side would not have power. I didn't have time today to unscrew the switches and see the colors of the wires or anything, and I don't have a wiring schematic so I don't really know what I'm looking for, but I wonder if the same color wire is either getting power or not getting power. Wonder how I could trace it back to see if it's broken somewhere along the way or something. I wouldn't think it's a fuse issue, because one side on both doors works and I would think there would be only one defrost fuse, but again, haven't gotten that far into it.

Long story short is I didn't get to do much investigating and was hoping someone here has some prior knowledge on the issue giving me some direction or idea what to actually look for. Much appreciated in advance.