1998 Suburban 4x4 switch lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildncrazyguy

Reaction score
So, let me preface this by saying that my 4x4 on my Suburban works ok as far as I can tell. (We just had a bit of snow and ice and I was able to give it a good rundown. New to me in December 2014.) This is likely just a switch bulb issue of some sort. I'm just curious if there is a good way without breaking anything to make the lights work properly. I'm guessing I'd have to remove the switch, take it apart and find some bulbs in there that are burnt out and try to replace them. Not knowing anything about this switch and lighting, I'm wondering my options.

Can the bulbs be somewhat easily replaced in this switch? I can't find anything showing how to take it apart and replace a bulb or two. Or, do I just have to break down and get me a new switch, assuming these are still available? If not available, then ebay and the like are crapshoots at best. Looking for suggestions. It may be one of those things I just deal with, but was hoping it could be an easy fix. Also, surely those who have upgraded to fancy LED dash lights and so forth should have dealt with this somehow, right? Thanks!

You must be registered for see images attach

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
You can change the bulbs, but first you need to remove the dash bezel so you can get to the 4x4 switch. Once you get it out you need to take that apart, it has 2 or 3 tabs on the sides. Inside you'll se the green board with a couple of bulbs (don't try to remove the board, it'll probably break), mine has 5 but I don't have the "auto 4wd" nor does it have the "neutral" so yours should have 2 more if the "neutral" lights up.
Now comes the tricky part, the bulbs are soldered to the board so you'll need single LED's w/ built-in resistors or singel LED's and than add the correct resistors, I used the first kind to make it a bit easier. Remove the old bulbs and solder in the new, and be sure to put the LED's in the correct way.

Here's how mine looks like, outside and inside:

And after, with blue LED's (2HI, 4HI or 4LO lights up when it's engaged, only have the ignition on on the pic):

Last edited:

wildncrazyguy

Reaction score
Thanks MsChevy. I bought some bulbs to replace my factory radio lights and need to work on that. From what I can tell, these look like a very similar job to remove and solder them. Might even take the same bulbs I bought for my radio. I bought extras so maybe I can get lucky there. Probably won't be able to jump on this right away though, but I'll try to post back when complete with a few pics as well. Thanks again.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will the light come on if you press on the sides or edges of the switch?

On mine (1998), the 2WD backlight would go in and out. Taking it apart, there were cracks in several of the solder joints. I just heated them up and added a little to seal them. Works fine now.