1998 K1500 AC Control Box Wiring Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98Z715L

Reaction score
My truck ac for the past few months has been acting up. Some times, it will kick on, and sometimes it will not. Most of the time, the fan setting only works on the max, the lower levels, no fan at all. The AC cold button, works, but if I leave it on, and turn the fan all the way off, the AC light stays on, meaning the compressor is still running. The heat, ac, defroster, all work fine when the max setting is applied. I took off the dash, and fooled with it, the wires are all in, but when i wiggle the second set of wires, which is the middle set of wires behind the AC box, it kicks on, and works like normal. I could use electrical tape, but I don't want to "bobo" rig my truck or cause a fire..

I have no clue about AC, wiring, etc. It seems like the wires need to be yanked out or the clip that holds the wires need to be replaced. I don't want to go to the local GMC or Chevy stealership, its a 95 dollar diagnostic fee, which they will not wave if I even show them the problem, and I know they will lie and say I need to replace the whole ac control box in the dash, which is prob 500, or 100 at a junkyard.

My question, has anyone had this problem? What did you do to fix it? Thanks

98Z715L

Reaction score
Well I replaced the Blower Resister behind the glove box, seemed to fix the problem for a few days. Now, it back to only working on the max setting. It has no power on the fan below the max setting. Any advice? Does anyone have the part number on the back of the AC box for the wires/harness? The plug where the wires might need to be replaced, maybe a loose connection?

98Z715L

Reaction score
So I need to replace the whole box then in the dash that controls the ac? When I shake the wire clip thats behind the fan speed switch, it seems to work, is their a part number on just the clip it self?