1998 k1500 5.7L exhaust flange leak broken center stud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tim hays

Reaction score
bad flange gasket after the cats, center bolt broken off, how difficult is the stud to get out ? is it pressed in like a wheel stud or welded in, hoping not to break the other two in the process and hoping it can be done with parts on the truck, thanks in advance even if you are getting ready to throw water on the idea. Want to know what i am into, B= mechanical ability

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gigantic 3-bolt flange "sealing" a pair of pipes on each side?

Good luck. The flange is likely to be so warped that the gasket will never compress in some places.

I have a similar flange on my '97 K2500 7.4L. Kinda thinking I broke one or more studs, knocked it out, replaced it with a bolt and nut. I don't have a clear memory of this.

What I do remember is doing the job a second time a few days later, another fresh gasket...
www.amazon.com/FEL-PRO-61835-Exhaust-Flange-Gasket/dp/B0CD8C9NM2/

...and an entire tube of liquid exhaust sealant--Permatex 80335
(waterglass, I think.)
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BOAZM8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It still leaks, but not as bad as before. I have been tempted to drill another bolt hole through the flange, and add a fourth bolt and nut to help seal this disaster.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Depending on the salt on roads in KS, you may be in for a lot of work and cussing. @Schurkey is giving you real world advice. It is a PITA. Most of the time, I have had to completely separate it all and deal with the aftermath.