1997 k1500 5.7L exhaust flange leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big nut

Reaction score
Hey guys I have seen a few threads on here about the leaking dual exhaust pipe flange right after the cats on the 5.7 and I was just wondering if anyone has found an actual solution to the problem.

I was considering welding the two flanges but I really don’t want to pull the pipes off the truck. I was wondering if anyone has welded the flanges together while they are both on the truck?
Any help is appreciated.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My '97 K2500 has a bigass flange between the catalysts. Leaked when I got the truck, leaked after I replaced the gasket/muffler/tailpipe.
www.amazon.com/Walker-31618-Hardware-Gasket/dp/B000CLOS0K/ref=sr_1_1?crid=96QTTWMT1Z2O

The flange was warped. The gasket can't seal the warped flange. Three friggin' bolts to hold about a square-foot of flange. Totally insufficient design.

I considered drilling the flange for an additional fastener. There's room for one more nut/bolt.

In the end, I used an entire tube of muffler/pipe sealer. The stuff is cheap, essentially resistant to heat, and easy to apply to both sides of the gasket. The leak is "mostly" sealed, but not entirely. I live with it.
www.amazon.com/Permatex-80335-Muffler-Tailpipe-Sealer/dp/B000BOAZM8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3CV5ZXQ1XJ5F6

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Permatex Copper RTV is OK to 700F ("intermittent").

The exhaust flange is directly behind the catalyst. The RTV doesn't stand a chance.

The water-glass stuff I linked-to will take 2000 degrees.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to admit I did not see that 2000°F rating. I'm going to have to try that stuff out.

Big nut

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I have tried the permatex a few times now with no luck, let it dry for a few days and it only lasts around a day or two max I may have to try this water-glass stuff