1998 k1500 5.7 vortec pinging no codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drtyTshrt

Reaction score
Wish I could hear it. When you say it was tuned, do you mean put on a dyno, and the computer was altered? Or do you just mean tuned up with new ignition stuff? I'm not a mechanic by profession, just a guy who has always had to wrench on stuff and is trying to help ya trace steps here.

Did the plugs have excessive carbon build up on them. Too much carbon in the cylinder can cause a ping, hard to imagine on a fuel injected motor with only 170k miles though.

I mean just tuned up with new ignition components. No Dyno no altered computer.

I couple of the plugs had excessive carbon but I had a bad cat and O2 sensor so I know it was running rich at the time.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds more like a rattle to me in the video..... doesn't sound like detonation to me.. does it do it in park? Put a load on it with out going anywhere. Basically put in gear foot on brake and give if some gas... not looking for burn out gas pedal action either, but just enough to load the motor... does it still do it then? What about reving it in park?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

drtyTshrt

Reaction score
Sounds more like a rattle to me in the video..... doesn't sound like detonation to me.. does it do it in park? Put a load on it with out going anywhere. Basically put in gear foot on brake and give if some gas... not looking for burn out gas pedal action either, but just enough to load the motor... does it still do it then? What about reving it in park?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have thought it may be a rattle but have since ruled that out just because.
I will need to try the power brake and load to see if it does it under that condition.

I thought it was rattling valves or a broken valve spring but not any more.
I am glad you can hear it. I uploaded from my phone and this the first time I have listen from good speakers. I hear it through the whole video quite clear.

Last edited: