1998 gmt400 pcm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gary Cookc

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Silverado SWB 2 wheel drive, 350, auto. The computer is bad and I need to replace it. My question is if I buy a flashed pcm from NAPA, will the truck need any more programming after the pcm is installed? I know the knock module needs to be switched to the new pcm, but will anything else need to be done or will it be ready to go.

thanks
Gary

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know nothing about these NAPA PCMs you speak of, but somehow I really doubt it will be flashed 100% correct to your truck. Also keep in mind that 1998 was the first year for GM's PassLock security system that's built into the PCM, I'm almost certain that will cause a headache. Not sure what this "knock module" you're referring to is, I've swapped PCMs many times in these trucks and I've never touched one.

If I were you I would seriously consider buying a tuned PCM from Black Bear Performance. Around $360, but that includes a performance tune, the ability to do many wonderful things like disable PassLock entirely, delete EGR and rear O2 sensors if you're so inclined, and free tune alterations for life. And you know everything will be programmed correctly.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
I know nothing about these NAPA PCMs you speak of, but somehow I really doubt it will be flashed 100% correct to your truck. Also keep in mind that 1998 was the first year for GM's PassLock security system that's built into the PCM, I'm almost certain that will cause a headache. Not sure what this "knock module" you're referring to is, I've swapped PCMs many times in these trucks and I've never touched one.

If I were you I would seriously consider buying a tuned PCM from Black Bear Performance. Around $360, but that includes a performance tune, the ability to do many wonderful things like disable PassLock entirely, delete EGR and rear O2 sensors if you're so inclined, and free tune alterations for life. And you know everything will be programmed correctly.

Well I'll be damned. Didn't know NAPA sold reconditioned PCMs, but here they are, hopefully it'll show up.
https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=computer&referer=search_form-savedveh

And +1 on the Black Bear PCM, I'm waiting to pull the trigger on one, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

If all else fails, you could try your hand and a 0411 swap.