1998 chevy k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wine Hill

Reaction score
Other than the missing tag, and other than opening up cover, is there any way to identify visually the rear axle gearing ratio? Meaning a way to differentiate if gearing is 3.73 or other? Just installed reman transfer case. Binding in 4wd. So I immediately stopped and back in on jack stands. Is there any visual difference, or is the outsides all the same with just different gears? Just asking. Going to troubleshoot today, going to spin and count rotation, just curious.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having been through this with my 98, I can say that mine had no external identification on the front or rear differentials that identified the ratio.

Previous owner had swapped a 3.42 junkyard rear into a truck that came with a 3.73. It would bind in 4wd.

I borrowed this photo from the internet, but the rear ring gear will have numbers stamped on it.
You must be registered for see images attach

11 and 41 will be a 3.73 with 12 and 41 being a 3.42.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM used to stamp a gear ID onto one of the axle tubes.

By the time I wanted to see it, the numbers were generally so corroded that reading them took a Ouiji-board.

Anyone who puts mis-matched gears into a 4WD needs to have their fingers broken with their own wrenches.

No matter what's stamped into the housing; or claimed on the Glovebox sticker...the only way to know for sure is to open up the axle and look at the gears.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well, there is another way. I do agree that the front and rear MUST match.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media