1998 Chevy k1500 driveshaft issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rgraves66

Reaction score
Need help with stock drive shaft. The aluminum yokes at both ends really need to be replaced. Does anyone know if the can be welded up and re-machined for the Ujoint caps, or bored out to fit a larger cap?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wait, you want to refabricate the aluminum yokes?
Or put them on lathe and bore them larger?
And hope they don't get brittle and shatter at high speed?
Do you realize the speed they spin under driving conditions?

The answer is NO. Empahtically, no.
Go to a junkyard and get a used set of yokes, some that have never been modified and install them.

Last suggestion is go to a drive shaft repair shop. Chances are they have suppliers where you/they can get new ones.

Rgraves66

Reaction score

Go to a junkyard and get a used set of yokes, some that have never been modified and install them.

Last suggestion is go to a drive shaft repair shop. Chances are they have suppliers where you/they can get new ones.
Yokes are fine it’s the ears on the aluminum shaft I was referring to. Having a draft shaft shop machine them out for larger Ujoint cap

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drivehshaft shops can make you new driveshafts. I'm quite certain of it. What you're doing is a recipe for disaster. Hope you have good insurance coverage.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drivehshaft shops can make you new driveshafts. I'm quite certain of it. What you're doing is a recipe for disaster. Hope you have good insurance coverage.
Exactly right.

Dont forget to factor in paying for collateral damages to other drivers, passengers, and property.

Rgraves66

Reaction score

Yokes are fine it’s the ears on the aluminum shaft I was referring to. Having a draft shaft shop machine them out for larger

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Shop here is going to cut off both ends and tig new aluminum yokes and balance.

Interesting, that they'd re-use the original tube. Unless there was something special about it, I'd think it would be cheaper to use new.... unless maybe it's swadged and it would mean ordering a custom tube.

I agree with everyone else, boring the yoke ears out for larger bearings is a really bad idea.

I would be checking local salvage yards for a new used driveshaft before I had a shop repair/build one.