1998 Chevy 2500 5.7 build questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Guys, you don't have to do the relearn on these trucks. I thought you did too, but I never got a CEL and the Tech2 at my mechanics would not initiate the process, stating that the values were already good. The black box mail order tunes are just plug n play, even with a new PCM.

He can just order a tune via mail and plug it in, good to go.

EDIT - Whoops, didn't see that he had a 98. Going to have to do a Passlock/security relearn with a Tech2 for sure. So glad I didn't have to do that on my 97...

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
98-99, and classic 00's do have to do a crank relearn. I verified with Black Bear. The only way you won't is if you get lucky and get a PCM who's previous crank position is damn near the same as yours.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ah, well that explains why there's always conflicting opinions about this on here. Good to know!

I wonder why that is, though? Aren't the PCMs the same throughout the Vortec trucks? I wonder what they changed other than adding Passlock...

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
I don't know the differences, but can confirm there was a black box in the 96/97 trucks that is different from 98+. Most tuning software doesn't work with the 96/97 computer. I forget the name of the program EPS uses, but it's not HPTuners or EFILive.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know the differences, but can confirm there was a black box in the 96/97 trucks that is different from 98+. Most tuning software doesn't work with the 96/97 computer. I forget the name of the program EPS uses, but it's not HPTuners or EFILive.

Interesting. Black Bear uses EFILive and they can tune the 96-97... I wonder if they have a program in addition to EFILive that they use specifically for those.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Interesting. Black Bear uses EFILive and they can tune the 96-97... I wonder if they have a program in addition to EFILive that they use specifically for those.

Blackbear does in-person tunes, right? Like they set up meetups in cities across the US to perform tuning services. They've done this in New Orleans, about 90 miles from me. I had signed up and was told by Julie or whatever her name is that they could NOT just plug in to my truck and tune it.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Blackbear does in-person tunes, right? Like they set up meetups in cities across the US to perform tuning services. They've done this in New Orleans, about 90 miles from me. I had signed up and was told by Julie or whatever her name is that they could NOT just plug in to my truck and tune it.

They don't offer in-person or scan cable tunes for our trucks. At least not with the factory black box PCMs. They do offer standard mail order tunes, though.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Considering you have a 98, my guess would be yes. You can drive it for a while before doing so with no ill effects though, you'll just get a check engine light until you get it done. I'd get it done ASAP, but it's not like it'll be undrivable.