1998 Chevy 2500 5.7 build questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael8856

Reaction score
I'm working on a build for my 98 Chevy and have a question so far I have a brand new vortec block new crank new set of flat tops it's all going together but I'm stuck at the cam don't really want to run the stock cam and I have this cam already will the stock computer handle it ok? Here's a few pics

You must be registered for see images attach

Ironhead

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In my opinion, your choice of cam should be based on the intended use of the engine and truck. Do you want low end torque for offroading and towing, or are you looking for screaming power at high rpms? Once you sort that out, I think the computer will handle it, or you can get a tune that will do the job.

Michael8856

Reaction score
The truck will get used for everything from towing my race car to hauling fire wood and some off roading want some low end but want too end also I'm good with building motors but I don't really understand cams never have always ask someone what cam to use lol I just already have this one what do you think of this one?

Michael8856

Reaction score
I'm not trying to build a race truck is a lifted 2500 on 35s just trying to make it not such a pig lol

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
That cam is the Ramjet/HT383 cam, great upgrade for the L31 350. If you go up to 1.6 rockers, that gives you lift of .461/.481. Great truck cam, being used as a truck. Slowburb runs it, and advised me of the same info - I'm sure he will chime in.

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
Oh, and yes - The stock tune will run it, but a good tune will make it run a whole lot better.

Michael8856

Reaction score
Any idea what kind of numbers I would be looking at? Running a new Vortech marine block 40 over flattop Vortech pistons Marine forged rods that cam I did a new three angle valve job decked the heads 10 thousands and a good tune

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Use the cam you have. It is good. Trust me, you will be pleased with it. I'm running it in my 4x4 lifted Suburban with 4.56 gears & 35" tires. Peak torque seems to be around 3200 rpm, and it pulls like a goddamn locomotive. This was recently colorfully illustrated to me in the mountains of VA and PA, completely loaded down with family and luggage. Going uphill I'd switch into an open lane, stab the throttle & downshift, and the tach would jump to 3200 and hold steady, while the speedo needle would just climb until I let out of the gas. This is on the stock tune.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
My idle surges a little, from 600 to maybe 650 every now and then. Other times its as smooth as glass. Makes plenty of vacuum. The idle is a hair less rhythmic than the stock cam, and hits a little harder. It is nowhere near hot or radical, so don't expect it to lope.