1998 454 Fuel Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SamH

Reaction score
I've got a 1998 3500 454. The problem in this Youtube video only occurs upon start up after it's been running for a while. Example: will cold start just fine and will start just fine after you turn off and immediately turn back on. Only happens when it's been sitting for 10+ minutes.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I am not really sure what exactly it could be other than a fuel issue. Let me know what you think!

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Fuel injectors and//or Fuel Pressure Regulator, a common problem on Vortec 454 trucks. The stock injectors leak down and cause hard starting, plagued my 96 K2500 when I first bought it.

5O Motorsports makes upgraded fuel injectors that solve this, there's plenty of 454 gurus here to chime in with more advice.

Chilledspode

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup - known issue.
I replaced the injectors/CPS/fuel pump/both regulators/temp sensors/MAF/etc/etc and nothing made a difference - in hindsight I think several of the new injectors had issues.:banghead:
I however fixed it by replacing the entire engine as the head gaskets had let go and it had 200k on the clock.
Cheers
Mark

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel injectors and//or Fuel Pressure Regulator, a common problem on Vortec 454 trucks. The stock injectors leak down and cause hard starting, plagued my 96 K2500 when I first bought it.

5O Motorsports makes upgraded fuel injectors that solve this, there's plenty of 454 gurus here to chime in with more advice.
Yes, usual suspects - injectors, FPR - do 'em both while you're in there. And don't forget a new piece of vacuum line for the FPR.

Richard

my name is alex

suckin' gas
Reaction score
Replacing my injectors (with FiveO) and FPR solved my hard start issue. I may have only needed a new FPR, but opted to do the injectors at the same time.