1997 K2500 Suburban Cummins Install/Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got to agree with the op on not modding til later. If you know for a fact it works properly, put it in and work all the kinks of the swap out, then do mods (though it will be more of a pain). I'd hate to get it in, it not work, then have to chase down swap problems, and possibly mod problems. "Was it running like this before the mods, or is this a swap problem"? Not to mention diesel performance mods get spendy if budget is a concern. And if you're like me, you won't know where to stop:driver:

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you not looking for big power numbers you'll still have a engine capable of towing, won't win any races but if you wanted serious speed a different engine comes to mind. But any work you are thinking abt doin should be done before the engine goes in

I'm curious what you mean by "if you wanted serious speed a different engine comes to mind." However, when I think of a K2500 Suburban, images of dragracing doesn't come to mind...
In the cace of my Suburban, I'm not attempting to make a racing vehicle, just a tough truck. I think the Cummins is a good candidate for that.
I thought heavily about doing some work to the 7.4L. It's not hard to get some serous HP, but not while retaining drivability for family and towing... not to mention fuel economy. While you're able to make HP... the 7.4 isn't great at making the amounts of torque the Cummins is capable of, with little work... and it is hands down better on fuel.

As far as work done to it before installation. I am interested in installing the engine stock for a baseline before I start making improvements. From the factory this engine was advertised as 160HP and 400ft.lbs. of torque out of 360 cubic inches.
The 1997 454 was advertised as 290HP and 410ft.lbs. of torque. With 130HP less, I'm sure it's not going to be same when you kick it down into second to pass someone... but it's not like it really launches around them like a rocket, lol.
I enjoy the Big Block in my 96, and there will likely be some aspects I miss going to a straight 6. But I think with the increases that are able to be made easily with the Cummins after it's installed, I'll soon appreciate the swap.

...Maybe I'll hang on to the 96 Big Block for a while to fulfill my need for that Big Block rumble now and then...

Smitty

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I kno diesels can be quick, owned a cummins and around here's there's plenty of diesel shops that build for races. What I meant was that if it was built just for racing I Might choose a different motor, small things for the 12v aren't bad but once you start buying parts for racing the price will skyrocket. However for a good an reliable daily driver, tow pig, family rig a 12v with just some minor upgrades is perfect and will put out enough power an get pretty good mpg. If my burb was couple years older an a 2500 I'd be throwing a 12v in as fast as I could.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please do the killer dowel pin mod at least. It's simple and easy while out of truck. That'll kill your. Motor if it goes. What about things like rear main and oil pan gasket??? Your seals gotta be dry and cracked by now

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Please do the killer dowel pin mod at least. It's simple and easy while out of truck. That'll kill your. Motor if it goes. What about things like rear main and oil pan gasket??? Your seals gotta be dry and cracked by now
LOL, of course I'll do the KDP, and any maintenance that looks like it needs to be taken care of, just not planning on any "Mods" before installation.
I know me... I won't be able to stop. It would end up being completely rebuilt, with studded mains and head, valve job, springs, big cam, port matched with the best manifold and big turbo, big injectors, and a P-pump swap... and any other idea that came to mind while it was apart.

For now, I just want to clean up this used 120k engine, change only the pieces required to stick it in (may have to use a different manifold for the swap), seals, water pump, and KDP.

I'm chompin' at the bit waiting for my new Bellhousing Adapter right now...

Smitty

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had a Toyota Tacoma Xrunner I swapped from manual to auto (kept breaking the manuals, too much power) and while I had it apart I had the super charger ported polished and over driven. As well as the 7th injector.... And than a tuning issue... And it needed a rebuild... So forged cranks and forged rods and coated pistons and I had the intake heads and headers ported (a lot) and polished and new 68# injectors and some. Cam work..... And I got her all done and made more power than a 2wd plastic bed could handle. I could never use her as street surfaces were not conducive for traction.

So point being. I understand!

But how about a turbo upgrade while your there? Lol

Are you. Going to intercooler her?

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
[QUOTE="So point being. I understand!

But how about a turbo upgrade while your there? Lol

Are you. Going to intercooler her?[/QUOTE]

LOL, ...I'm going to try real hard to not start out with a turbo upgrade... I've even been trying to not do research on what the best option would be :p

As for intercooler, the 92 was intercooled, and the gentleman I purchased the 5.9 from gave me the cooler from the donor truck and the pipe pieces he had.
The intercooler is a lot different then the cooler I usually see installed in these GMT400 builds, which is the 2nd gen cooler. Those seem to interfere a little with the marker lights, but lighting can be over come.
I have no idea what the fitment of the 1st gen cooler is like, but I will probably eye it up before going on the hunt for a 2nd gen cooler.

Smitty

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
*UPDATE*
So these parts arrived!
You must be registered for see images attach

And the transformation has begun, turning this in the a bonafide GM 5.9L Cummins!

Clearance had to be made for the retrofit starter:

Next up, KDP fix and get the parts I took off cleaned up and back on, new water pump and thermostat while I have it partially apart.

Stay Tuned...

Smitty

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The lift IS necessary for a Duramax, but AFAIK not most older Cummins.
Lot of 4BT swaps in these too. Built up you can get half decent power and good torque out of them. Still rather have a 6 though if I was going to all the trouble, but there is a company around here that churns out 4BT's and people scoop them up like potato chips so they must be right for some people.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
This thread has had me thinking all day, Cummins swap my old 96 K2500? Or build up a K2500 CCSB and keep both?

Man this is a hard one...