1997 K2500 Suburban Cummins Install/Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vr1967

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have rear ac, get a 3rd gen manifold to mount the turbo low and not affect ac lines

I’ve done 13 Cummins swaps into GM vehicles and have never boxed a frame.

If you are keeping ifs there is about 5 bolts in the front diff that will need countersunk for clearance

I have a set of mounts still for an 88-98 k series that I will get pictures of. The mounts I make allow you to use all the 1st gen fan etc

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With the added front weight is where I'd want to upgrade the suspension or sas
I have thought in the past about doing a straight axle, but it isn't a change I'm going to make unless it come down to necessity... Aside from enjoying the ride of the IFS, it also is not a priority to increase the step in height.
The main objective of this build (and I need to keep this in focus :p) is a family/tow rig that gets good fuel economy. It could always evolve from there though LOL. But that is the focus right now.
I am under the impression I will be able to compensate for the extra weight with an adjustment of the torsion bars at this point.

Thanks!
Smitty

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have rear ac, get a 3rd gen manifold to mount the turbo low and not affect ac lines

I’ve done 13 Cummins swaps into GM vehicles and have never boxed a frame.

If you are keeping ifs there is about 5 bolts in the front diff that will need countersunk for clearance

I have a set of mounts still for an 88-98 k series that I will get pictures of. The mounts I make allow you to use all the 1st gen fan etc

Wow! That sounds awesome! 13 Swaps, I wouldn't mind seeing pics of each of them.
I just purchased the adapter and flex plate I'll be going with, from American Hot Rod Solutions.
I have heard about the 3rd Gen Manifold for A/C clearence, but haven't sourced those parts yet. Next step is to get the engine off the floor and attached to the transmission. From there, mounts and all the accessories/brackets and clearances become priority. Would greatly appreciate gleaning from your wisdom.

Next pics posted should be of the adapter bolted up with the engine prepped for setting in place.

Thanks!
Smitty

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a flipper truck with welded in Cummins mounts, but by the looks of things the trans was gonna be jammed into the floorboard. Curious if a body lift is a necessity with the swap?

Tachyon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cool project. Looking forward to following along. Especially since I've been considering something along this line myself.

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thought about this swap. I did a optimizer instead. Much cheaper and easier. It's my work truck and I didn't want to take a week vacation just to wrench for 11 days straight. Probably you'll. Need a body lift. But those older cummins weren't intercooled. While out do some head studs and injectors (you change out diesel injectors like car spark plugs in the fact its close to 100k miles might as well) and also read into the dowel of death. It's over being the fuel. Injection pump. This is a swap I'm still considering if I stop using my truck for work. My end goal would only be 500HP and maybe 1200TQ.thats very reasonable for a slightly built cummins . But keep in mind that stock. Motor made like 160HP and 360 to 380tq. It's easy to make more but........

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thankfully, this Suburban is not the one I use on a regular basis for driving back and forth to work and towing. I still have my rusty but (mostly) trusty 1996 K2500 Suburban. So, I don't have to drive it everyday and can take some time wrenching on it to fit it all together.

I'm planning on installing the engine just as it is first, old injectors and all... changing only the parts that are necessary to make it fit into the Suburban.
I'd like to get it running and in good working order, then we'll start doing some tuning and updates.

On the subject of "body lift"...
I have seen a couple of these builds on youtube and in forums, and I've heard this phrase more then once, "while it wasn't necessary for the installation of the Cummins, we did a 2" body lift."
So does it require one or not... That is the question. I will answer the question... hopefully very soon.
I would prefer to not have any lift at all, body or suspension at this point.
We shall see.

God's blessings,
Smitty

Sparkysikes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The biggest problem that most face is the down pipe. And if done just right it can fit under the stock hood. But a small cowl induction hood can give necessary clearance. But make sure you have a sledge hammer as parts of the firewall will need some convincing

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as I kno you don't need any type of lift but most end up doing a small lift so that they have little more wiggle room. If you not looking for big power numbers you'll still have a engine capable of towing, won't win any races but if you wanted serious speed a different engine comes to mind. But any work you are thinking abt doin should be done before the engine goes in