1997 K2500 Suburban Cummins Install/Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Simple BOTH:D

Well, I've got my 96; 454/80E, Silverado trim, PW/PL, AC, basically loaded except for leather; I figure a 12 Valve/80E, vinyl floors, hand crank windows, and pretty much the only amenities being a tilt column, cruise control if possible, radio, and AC would balance out nicely.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
KDP fix installed... got busy chit chattin' with a customer I had just finished up with as I was putting it together and forgot to take a pic of the fix installed.
But, this is what I did:

You must be registered for see images attach

I took a sharp chisel and removed a little bit of the material between the dowel and the bolt that is next to it. I used a rag stuffed in behind the cam gear to catch the chips as I chiseled it.

I fashioned this little holder from a 5/16 fender washer, and bolted it in place. Worked out great... but I don' have a pic to prove how good it looked. You'll have to take my word for it.

Timing cover is back on with new seals. I was surprised when I took a punch and knocked that dowel in about a 1/4 inch! Very glad to have the KDP taken care of.

Other things taken care of today:

Power Steering Reservoir from the Suburban is installed. This required the Fuel Injector Pump support bracket being clearanced slightly. The reason for this swap is the two return lines necessary for having hydroboost brakes.

New Water Pump and Thermostat installed.

Balancer installed and a few other parts cleaned, getting ready to fit it in to the Suburban.

More updates soon...

Thanks,
Smitty

supazuk

Reaction score
Other things taken care of today:

Power Steering Reservoir from the Suburban is installed. This required the Fuel Injector Pump support bracket being clearanced slightly. The reason for this swap is the two return lines necessary for having hydroboost brakes.
A hydroboast Astro van pump case has a remote reservoir would gain clearance and remote fill (the pump case only has one return the, hydroboast returns to the reservoir)

You must be registered for see images

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have an update on this build. Finding time to get to it proves to be difficult sometimes! But I think I'm moving along pretty well.
Watching YouTube videos, and reading every thread I can find on doing a Cummins swap in a GMT400, I have a heads up on some of the things that need to be done for the swap. I thank all those who have paved the way before me...

So one of the things I was aware needed to be done for clearance along the pan rail of the Cummins, was to countersink the 5 differential case bolts around the top and rear of the front differential case. Here are some pics of what I did:

I purchased a box of ten 10mm - 1.5 X 50 Counter Sink bolts, and a countersink bit to chuck in a drill:

Here's one hole counter sunk, and one bolt installed:

And here is all of them installed:

Continued in next post...