1997 K2500 Suburban 496ci build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Began a new project today.
I recently acquired a 1997 K2500 Suburban 7.4L
After owning my 1996 K2500 Suburban 7.4L for a couple of years now, I have had the desire to find one outside of the "rust belt."
I really like my 1996 Suburban, it does work real well, and carts the family around excellently! We drove it to San Diego, CA and back to Monroe, MI this past spring... towing a vehicle on a tow dolly both ways. Made a few trips to Tennessee and back, and countless trips around MI and OH.
I come up with lots of upgrades I'd like to do, but then... I find I just don't want to work on the rusty truck. I dread the inevitable... I've done all the brake lines but so far have not had to drop the tank or touch the scaly fuel lines. It's about to hit 200,000 miles and still hasn't called it quits... Praise The Almighty!
So hopefully before that ever happens, this new project will be going smoothly together.
Back to the 1997 K2500 Suburban...

I purchased this Suburban from just outside the Phoenix, AZ area and had it shipped home. It had a rod knock so not many people were interested in it, you couldn't just hop in it and drive it home... I think I got a pretty good deal at $1500 cash.
You must be registered for see images attach

So, I got it inside on the hoist today for the first time... and I was very pleased to see... It's rust free!
There are some cosmetic issues, and some pieces of the interior that will need some refinement, but we're starting with the POWER PLANT!

Since it's rod knocked and going to need a crank kit, why not a stroker crank! Right!?
None of the parts for the rebuild have been ordered yet, but the engine is out and ready to be torn down.

I'll post again after I tear it down, and see what I find.
Thanks for checking out my "new thread."
Feed back, questions, and comments welcomed and appreciated.

God's blessings,
Smitty

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was able to get the engine torn down today. From what I can tell, the cause of the rod knocked motor must have been after ingesting some antifreeze when the intake gaskets went bad.
It was obvious that intake gaskets had been done along with other new cooling system parts; new Radiator, Water Pump, Rad Hoses, Thermostat and Housing, and new A/C Compressor. So that's some bonus new parts for me!

But it must have taken to much antifreeze in the crankcase. The bearings that weren't spun showed pitting.
The end result was spun number 5, 6, and 8 rod bearings. The number 3 main bearing was pretty bad too, but not to the point of being spun... that's good!
Haven't taken the heads apart yet, but just a quick look, looks like neither head is cracked. That's good too!

All the part are staged and ready to get over to the machine shop for a good cleaning, and start machining! That will likely be after the holidays.

Here's some pics of the pieces:

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haven't taken any of the parts into the machine shop yet, but I did make a quick pit stop at the local u-pull-it today.
Picked up a part that I have been told I will need... The 0411 ECM.
I'll do a little research and get this installed at some point in the build.

Smitty

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Haven't taken any of the parts into the machine shop yet, but I did make a quick pit stop at the local u-pull-it today.
Picked up a part that I have been told I will need... The 0411 ECM.
I'll do a little research and get this installed at some point in the build.

Smitty

I need to get me one of those.
I've been told the wiring for the 96/97 black box is different from the 98+ trucks, so I'd be interested on hearing how difficult it is to wire this in; probably a lot less troublesome than I think it would be though,

rowekmr

Reaction score
Great find! I’ve had 2 Burbs 2500’s and loved them. I went diesel but after all the headaches with the emissions and high priced parts I dream of getting another Burb and refinishing it.

What’s your plans for the drivetrain?

What’s the purpose of the 0411 ECM?

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Great find! I’ve had 2 Burbs 2500’s and loved them. I went diesel but after all the headaches with the emissions and high priced parts I dream of getting another Burb and refinishing it.

What’s your plans for the drivetrain?

What’s the purpose of the 0411 ECM?

The 0411 is an all around upgraded computer, it's a better operating system than the black box PCM, allows for better and more tuning options.