1997 K2500 Suburban 496ci build

Discussion in '96+ Vortec Performance + Computer Swaps' started by SmittySS, Dec 22, 2017.

1. SmittySS

SmittySS I'm Awesome

Just an update...
    I have made ZERO progress, lol. I have gotten distracted with the idea of doing a 12v Cummins swap.
    The amount of torque you are able to make with low effort from that engine is part of what makes this swap appealing to me. Add to that the potential for twice the fuel economy, and I want to do it more.
    I always have to do everything on a low budget though, so unless someone gives me the 12 valve, I don't see this actually becoming a reality. ...but you never know. Maybe I'll sell some things and end up with the money I need.

I'm a old school gear head at heart though, and still want to hear the sound of that 496 pullin' down the freeway. That has been great to hear the last couple of trips we've taken with the 1996, that old 454 sounds great with just the cats and no muffler...

Maybe somebody can talk me out of this Cummins thing...
    Smitty

2. BowtieBrody

BowtieBrody Jesus Murphy!

The equation is simple.

Buy another truck (such as a K2500 or K3500) swap a 12 Valve into that.
    Put the 496 in the Suburban.
    Own two badass GMT400s
    Profit???

Now, I'm not the greatest at math, but I think this is a good equation.

GarrettGmc likes this.
  3. SmittySS

SmittySS I'm Awesome

LOL, I'm not going to be able to sell that math to my wife...

4. BowtieBrody

BowtieBrody Jesus Murphy!

You can convince her if you just bring a truck home maybe? They can't say no if you don't ask...

5. SmittySS

SmittySS I'm Awesome

This is the permission vs. forgiveness principle. I'm well aware of the theory, but experience tells me it's dangerous territory. LOL

Biggershaft96 and BowtieBrody like this.
  6. SmittySS

SmittySS I'm Awesome

So... I brought this home last night.
    I would now say it is official, at this time I am not doing a 496 stroker build, but rather a 12 Valve Cummins Swap!
    92cummins.jpg

I think this was a pretty good find. I was hoping to find a 94-98 12 Valve which came with the "P-pump." They are out there, and I found a pretty good deal on a couple of them, but what sold me on picking this one up was the "extra parts" it came with.
    This 12 Valve was part of a Chevy Swap a few years ago, that was never finished.
    This one came with a TH400 Trans bolted to it! I have no intention of using the trans (plan on selling it), but it has the required adapter and flywheel I need to bolt up my 4L80E. Depending on where your shopping, that's a $1000-$1300 dollar adapter assembly.

So this is the end of my 496ci Stroker build thread for now... What category should I post my Cummins Swap Suburban thread in?

Smitty

7. Cokeman95

Cokeman95 I'm Awesome

Edit the title and keep it here so your information is all in one spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Christian Steffen likes this.
  8. SmittySS

SmittySS I'm Awesome

I'm not sure how to edit the title... and this is no longer a 96+ Vortec Build.
    I'm going to start a new thread chronicling the 5.9 12 Valve install/conversion.
    Starting with the first start of engine.
    To follow that thread go here -->1997 K2500 Suburban Cummins Install/Conversion