1997 K2500 Suburban 496ci build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just an update...
I have made ZERO progress, lol. I have gotten distracted with the idea of doing a 12v Cummins swap.
The amount of torque you are able to make with low effort from that engine is part of what makes this swap appealing to me. Add to that the potential for twice the fuel economy, and I want to do it more.
I always have to do everything on a low budget though, so unless someone gives me the 12 valve, I don't see this actually becoming a reality. ...but you never know. Maybe I'll sell some things and end up with the money I need.

I'm a old school gear head at heart though, and still want to hear the sound of that 496 pullin' down the freeway. That has been great to hear the last couple of trips we've taken with the 1996, that old 454 sounds great with just the cats and no muffler...
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Maybe somebody can talk me out of this Cummins thing...
Smitty

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
The equation is simple.

Buy another truck (such as a K2500 or K3500) swap a 12 Valve into that.
Put the 496 in the Suburban.
Own two badass GMT400s
Profit???

Now, I'm not the greatest at math, but I think this is a good equation.

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The equation is simple.

Buy another truck (such as a K2500 or K3500) swap a 12 Valve into that.
Put the 496 in the Suburban.
Own two badass GMT400s
Profit???

Now, I'm not the greatest at math, but I think this is a good equation.
LOL, I'm not going to be able to sell that math to my wife...

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So... I brought this home last night.
I would now say it is official, at this time I am not doing a 496 stroker build, but rather a 12 Valve Cummins Swap!
You must be registered for see images attach

I think this was a pretty good find. I was hoping to find a 94-98 12 Valve which came with the "P-pump." They are out there, and I found a pretty good deal on a couple of them, but what sold me on picking this one up was the "extra parts" it came with.
This 12 Valve was part of a Chevy Swap a few years ago, that was never finished.
This one came with a TH400 Trans bolted to it! I have no intention of using the trans (plan on selling it), but it has the required adapter and flywheel I need to bolt up my 4L80E. Depending on where your shopping, that's a $1000-$1300 dollar adapter assembly.

So this is the end of my 496ci Stroker build thread for now... What category should I post my Cummins Swap Suburban thread in?

Smitty

SmittySS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Edit the title and keep it here so your information is all in one spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm not sure how to edit the title... and this is no longer a 96+ Vortec Build.
I'm going to start a new thread chronicling the 5.9 12 Valve install/conversion.
Starting with the first start of engine.
To follow that thread go here -->1997 K2500 Suburban Cummins Install/Conversion