1997 Chevy k1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Understood. I’m currently, looking for the best kit buy. I have a part suburban possibly could I take them out of it and just weild it inside of exshaust?
I think it’s easier to just weld in a new bung for the sensor to bolt into. You can buy them new. Any exhaust shop should be able to order them in for you.

Obs89

Reaction score
Okay I have not put in my o2 sensors. But I have got them just need to weild them in I have oem ones from parts truck. But my file pressure is misleading me. Key on engine of -51psi then drops immidsntly to 47psi. Engin on at idle is 43psi . 60 mph it’s stays around 45-50 psi. Even when I floor it but truck drives fine like this. I only have problems when I let engine get cold over night and come and try to start it. It does it when it’s hot or cold out side. But I can drive truck w no problems what so ever. I just put a new crank shaft pos sensor in last one was ate up. It runs find I didn’t seem to have to relearn it I don’t know how to do that. I have a snap on scanner with me and can’t find it. I cleaned the fuel pump ground and everything thing. Also if I have the truck running and unplug the fuel pump relay how come I don’t loose any pressure. And truck didn’t cut off.??????

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Spelling, sentence structure including punctuation, and paragraphs would make this much easier to read.

Okay I have not put in my o2 sensors. But I have got them just need to weild them in
Of course you mean "weld in threaded bungs that the O2 sensors will screw into". Welding the body of the sensor to the exhaust pipe is flat-out insane.

Weld the bungs into the top-half of the exhaust pipe, so the sensors kinda point "down" in use. They need to be positioned just like OEM. Use anti-seize on the O2 sensor threads.

I have oem ones from parts truck.
Re-using O2 sensors is not a good idea. They get lazy with age--slow to respond.

But my file pressure is misleading me. Key on engine of -51psi then drops immidsntly to 47psi. Engin on at idle is 43psi . 60 mph it’s stays around 45-50 psi. Even when I floor it but truck drives fine like this.
Is your fuel pressure gauge accurate? I bet it reads low.

Your fuel pressure is so low I'm surprised you can get the engine to start and run if you still have the poppet injectors. The electronic injector "upgrade" spider would be less-sensitive to low fuel pressure.

When you have the scan tool connected, verify your fuel trims.

I only have problems when I let engine get cold over night and come and try to start it. It does it when it’s hot or cold out side.
Connect scan tool, verify ALL the sensors. In particular, the coolant temp sensor, and the throttle position sensor.

I have a snap on scanner with me and can’t find it.
Keep looking, it's probably in a bigass black-plastic suitcase with all the accessories and connectors.

if I have the truck running and unplug the fuel pump relay how come I don’t loose any pressure. And truck didn’t cut off.??????
Because the oil-pressure switch acts as a bypass for the relay. Either one--relay or switch--can run the fuel pump.

If the relay works, the switch could malfunction and you'd never know the difference. If the relay malfunctions, you'd have to crank the engine a long time to get oil pressure, which closes the oil pressure switch contacts, which turns on the pump. Once the engine cranks long enough to have oil pressure, the pump would run just fine.

Your truck has low fuel pressure during prime--which may be a defective pressure gauge--but the fuel pump relay circuitry is working. The truck still runs when the relay is removed--so the oil pressure switch and wire harness is OK.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have gotten mine mainly from Amazon, but sometimes from Summit, sometimes locally.

I've been getting NTK or ACDelco.
Some folks like Bosch, some folks refuse to use Bosch. And there's a thousand off-brands with names you've never heard of, that sound like Amazon threw seven letters up in the air and whichever way they landed was what they named the product.

Obs89

Reaction score
When you have the scan tool connected, verify your fuel trims.
I can get them tomorrow but off the top of my head when I read them it was like long term 128 or sum and short term 0 I believe. Also all of a sudden I’m getting multiple misfires and the truck is smoking a gassy smell type smoke.Basically unburnt gas. My air fuel ratio is 14:7:1. Not sure if that matters. And when u said connectors In ********* box what do you mean. I have the snap on tool to read everything, when I plug it up and search through everything I cannot seem to find a relearn for crank shaft position sensor. My iac is reading at idle. My tps is 0 at idle. MAF read around 7.5-8.5 at idle. My temperature reads fine. It has a new sensor. And sending sensor.

Obs89

Reaction score
Also how long should my fuel pump hold pressure? It goes to zero in like 20 minutes I believe. Also all my spider injectors read 50-40 psi.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
off the top of my head when I read them it was like long term 128
"Perfect". 128 is the middle of the range, right where it should be.

short term 0 I believe.
Not likely. I've never seen fuel trims go all the way to one end of the scale.

Verify the fuel trims.

Also all of a sudden I’m getting multiple misfires and the truck is smoking a gassy smell type smoke.Basically unburnt gas.
Yup, that's what misfire smells like.

If it goes on long enough, it'll melt the catalytic converter.

"I" would connect the scan tool, and find out which cylinders are misfiring based on the misfire counts per cylinder.

My air fuel ratio is 14:7:1.
Maybe. Kinda depends on the O2 sensor's accuracy.

And when u said connectors In ********* box what do you mean.
I said you'd probably find your scan tool inside the "bigass black-plastic suitcase with all the accessories and connectors." At least, that's where I keep my Snappy scan tool.

I have the snap on tool to read everything, when I plug it up and search through everything I cannot seem to find a relearn for crank shaft position sensor.
Download the Genuine GM service manual set for your vehicle from the links posted in the sticky-thread section of the Engine forum. Find out what the crank sensor relearn procedure is. MAYBE you don't need a relearn procedure.

My temperature reads fine.
On the dash gauge? Or on the scan tool?

It has a new sensor. And sending sensor.
WHICH sensor? What is a "sending sensor"?

Also how long should my fuel pump hold pressure? It goes to zero in like 20 minutes I believe. Also all my spider injectors read 50-40 psi.
I'd expect it to hold pressure longer than 20 minutes.

40--50 psi seems low. I'd expect ~60 at prime (may require more than one prime cycle) and low-50s when running at idle (high manifold vacuum.)

Obs89

Reaction score
bigass black-plastic suitcase with all the accessories and connectors." At least, that's where I keep my Snappy scan tool
I know. When I’m saying I cannot find it. When I hook up the scanner to truck I do not know how to find the relearn on the scanner, to test it.