1997 Chevy C/K 1500 Overhead Console dome/map light bulb replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to get those light bulbs for a 96-98 overhead console? Or any modification ideas? This is the light bulb style that you push in and slightly turn to remove them from the housing. See picture for reference. Came out of a 1997 Chevy 1500 I believe. I have been looking on the internet but can't find anything.
You must be registered for see images attach

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
.....This is the light bulb style that you push in and slightly turn to remove them from the housing.....

Dont have a overhead console here, but after reading some, I am getting the impression that there is a # 168 bulb inside there.

Maybe that thing you slightly turn to get out is the bulb housing (it might still have to come apart to get to the actual bulb inside?).

005Socket, ball(part of 1) - -
006Ball, lamp(part of 1, 23) - -
007Socket, rf cnsl lp(part of 1, 9, 23) - -
008Bulb, lamp #168(part of 1, 9, 23)(acdelco #l168) 09425542 - -
009Lamp, rf cnsl ctsy(incls 7, 8)(part of 1, 23)

Below is a link from my view of "similar threads" below yours.

Step 1: To begin with, your going to have to remove the reflector/bulb holder assy. If you look at the center of the lens, you will notice a Torx style shape in the lens. Take a flat screw driver and gently insert it into these grooves, turn the assy counter-clockwise and it will release from the console. Be careful to catch it and not let it fall to the floor!

(after removing the assy. from the overhead console)

Step 2: You will now see the bulb holder at the top of the assy. It is black in color and had 2 copper colored contacts on the top of it. It is held into the top of the housing by 2 plastic clips that are released by pressing them in with a small screwdriver. After you have the bulb holder out of the light housing you are ready to proceed to step #3!

Read more here.

Hope that helps, best of luck.

Might have to get me one of those overhead consoles someday.

:popcorn:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ Yup.

Been a while since I've messed with mine, but IIRC the black part of the reflector assembly in that picture has some tabs you can release, and then it separates from the rest of the assembly and you can remove the bulb. It's either a 194 or a 168, I can't remember.

EDIT - Just realized that info was already in the previous post. Oh well, double confirmed I suppose. :lol:

OBS Oregon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont have a overhead console here, but after reading some, I am getting the impression that there is a # 168 bulb inside there.

Maybe that thing you slightly turn to get out is the bulb housing (it might still have to come apart to get to the actual bulb inside?).

005Socket, ball(part of 1) - -
006Ball, lamp(part of 1, 23) - -
007Socket, rf cnsl lp(part of 1, 9, 23) - -
008Bulb, lamp #168(part of 1, 9, 23)(acdelco #l168) 09425542 - -
009Lamp, rf cnsl ctsy(incls 7, 8)(part of 1, 23)

Below is a link from my view of "similar threads" below yours.

Step 1: To begin with, your going to have to remove the reflector/bulb holder assy. If you look at the center of the lens, you will notice a Torx style shape in the lens. Take a flat screw driver and gently insert it into these grooves, turn the assy counter-clockwise and it will release from the console. Be careful to catch it and not let it fall to the floor!

(after removing the assy. from the overhead console)

Step 2: You will now see the bulb holder at the top of the assy. It is black in color and had 2 copper colored contacts on the top of it. It is held into the top of the housing by 2 plastic clips that are released by pressing them in with a small screwdriver. After you have the bulb holder out of the light housing you are ready to proceed to step #3!

Read more here.

Hope that helps, best of luck.

Might have to get me one of those overhead consoles someday.

:popcorn:
Awsome!! Thank you for the information. I didn't realize there was that little bulb actually inside the housing that I took out.
This, any many other posts, are the reason why you should support this forum. The time and effort our members put into answering questions and looking up information is worth the price of admission.