How To: LED Map Light Conversion (Overhead Console)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another quick note, I bought a dome lamp out of a 96' or so Suburban for my 94' today. It uses the same Festoon bulb as the standard dome lamp, BUT has the exact same map lights as the overhead consoles. So this exact same procedure should work for the suburban dome lamp assys.

I will be installing the new suburban dome lamp into my 94' tomorrow, and installing the same 9SMD LED's into the map lights. If there are any parts that are unclear of the process, I can take more pictures of each step and post in the original post if that would help anybody along better!

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Maybe suggest using square-tube festoons because they're easier to adjust the glow after install?

I'm speaking of the LED festoons ofcourse :crazy:

Last edited:

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
Another quick note, I bought a dome lamp out of a 96' or so Suburban for my 94' today. It uses the same Festoon bulb as the standard dome lamp, BUT has the exact same map lights as the overhead consoles. So this exact same procedure should work for the suburban dome lamp assys.

I will be installing the new suburban dome lamp into my 94' tomorrow, and installing the same 9SMD LED's into the map lights. If there are any parts that are unclear of the process, I can take more pictures of each step and post in the original post if that would help anybody along better!

They are tad diff Id suggest doing it before your install it in the truck it will be easier

borahshadow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Dang it Baron! I've been planning on doing this too and once again you beat me to it! lol

Post pics up when you do it. (either here or your build thread I don't care)

I wonder if there is a way to wire it so that those map lights come on with the dome light. I'd think that the wiring would be similar to the map lights in the overhead console and if I can figure it out (which I probably can) I'll definitely do that too. :rocking:

LUCASisCOOL

Reaction score
that mod is awesome, and man i really want those front seats i cant find them anywhere.

brocks 97

Reaction score
Lol I guess I am redneck because I used my pocket knife and had them both done in about 1 min. I think it took me longer to figure how to take the lights out and get them out of the package, than it took me to trim the housings.

Edit: I also used the zevo lifetime warranty bulb from oreillys.