1997 c2500 suburban 4x4 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Waystro

Reaction score
Ok I'm sick of replacing my front end on my 1997 c2500 (2wd) suburban I want to do a 4x4 swap but don't what I'll need. I plan on using a dana 60 strait axle but am open to a dana 44. I found a 1986
Chevy suburban 1500 4x4 for $ 800 can I use the steering from that and what transfer case do I want to use. Any help. Would be great thanks

highspeed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You will need most of everything from that suburban, I think that year suburban has a turbo 400 or 700r4 which is much different than the 4l60/4l80 thats in a 97 2500. I am not the expert but I would suggest you start researching how to swap to a passenger side drop SAS with passenger side drop T-case and a trans that doesn't run off of a computer. Its not cheap to do yourself and even more expensive if done by someone else. You may be better off getting a k2500 setup from a newer gmt400 .

I know thats not a comprehensive answer you may be looking for, but the more you read and search the better off you will be in making an informed decision.

dowsewashere

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The whole front suspensions from a C to a k is completely different. The frames are for sure. So things like ord shackles and stuff are going to be all custom. So you may want to look deeply into that before you buy another suburban.

Edit.
Things like transfer cases. Youd want a np241 and all its wiring. Then maybe look into a hp44 or hp60 from a 70s ford.