1997 C1500 5.7 repair cost question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsny

Reaction score
brand new to the forum guys/gals. also i'm a new(used) chevy truck owner. bought an extended cab, vortec 5 speed 5.7 4x4 to do some moving from time to time and for inclement weather. looked at several used trucks the past year 1/2 and bought this "higher" mileage truck due to how clean the truck was especially the engine compartment. truck has 268,000k on it with eng/trans rebuilt at 200,000......

so....one thing i knew it needed when i bought it was a brake job on all four wheels. can anyone give me what they feel is a fair price for the following repairs/maintenance:

-all four brakes replaced
-coolant flushed
-new wiper blades
-oil & filter change

bought this pickup also b/c i heard they're cheap to work on?? mechanic said the transfer case had a small leak, but was nothing to worry about unless it got worse. otherwise he said the truck looked pretty good.

thoughts/comments/suggestions?

willdabeast69

Mudd Slutt
Reaction score
if you're mechanically inclined you can do all of that in your driveway. you can get all of those parts at your local auto parts store. and when you say brakes do you mean rotors, calipers, lines, or everything?

btw welcome to the forum man

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah that stuff isn't hard, one of the good thing about these trucks (for the most part) is they're pretty easy and cheap to work on.

probably the most labor intensive part of all that will be the rear drum brakes. which still aren't too hard, but they take more time and are slightly more complex than the front discs. this may help you if you try to tackle the rear drums it yourself: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/Drums.html

otherwise I'd say $30-40 for the oil and filter, $10-20 for new wiper blades, $30 for replacement coolant....thats just the cost of the parts from a store though, if you were wanting someone to do those things for you they'd probably charge you some labor too.

jantzer

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The calipers are cheap too like $30 ea for 3/4 ton.