1997 5.7 Vortec won't start.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK guys. I'm gonna need some help here. I parked my Tahoe last night and I went to start her up today at 2:30pm, and she wouldn't start.

I have power, the radio, power windows and lights all turn on at full power at the same time.

The starter motor fires great, no issues with that.

But the engine isn't turning over. I'm guessing something is wrong with the fuel system...

The fuel pump primes. But maybe it's too weak? I replaced the fuel filter back in April after I bought the truck. Maybe injectors?

I just changed the oil last Friday. All the fluids are good. The ignition was replaced from distributor to spark plugs a few months ago.

Any ideas guys? :(

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the engine isn't turning over it's a starter/battery problem.

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe my words were incorrect. The engine turns over. It's not clicking. The starter works. The battery works. It just won't actually fire up.

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
One of my customers at work told me it might be a crankshaft or camshaft position sensor. Perhaps...

Tripp

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any other ideas, before I start throwing parts at it?

Incredible Hulk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crank position sensor... Cheap and easy to replace.... Many ruin a starter before they figure it out.. Starters come with a hang tag warning you about a bad sensor

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Any other ideas, before I start throwing parts at it?
Before you throw parts at it at all... Pull a plug and check for spark. If no, let's figure out why, if yes, let's check for fuel at the rail..

There's a method to this madness